It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Single vs Unsingle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 pm 
Field Grade

I'm getting a Tristar TT-15 for my son. He doesn't want an O/U. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in shooting a top single vs an unsingle? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Top Single vs Unsingle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Trap, I have shot both. In truth, I am an intermediate shooter on a good day. For Me I prefer the Unsingle, but don’t have enough time with it to say that I can absolutely shoot better scores with it than the topsingle. For Me, It has been harder to get the new unsingle fittted and adjusted for Me than the topsingle, that is largely due to My unfamiliarity with all the different adjustments available to Me on the new unsingle gun. A lot of this was learned by trial and error. Especially, POI settings using the comb and rib adjustments. I also needed the pitch changed, and an adjustable recoil pad plate put on, so that I could get more toe out. I am starting to see pretty good results in My practice sessions, and am going to a decent sized tournament here in a couple weeks, and We’ll see how it goes. There are those that have shot topsingles for a long time and can’t quite get used to shooting an unsingle, as they tend to shoot off the end of the barrel. With the higher rib on the unsingle, that’s pretty hard to do. I have not had that problem. Just need to keep my head down on the stock and all is well. The unsingle also allows Me better visibility when targets come from under the gun. I am able to get on target faster. A very big plus for Me has been that the heads-up shooting style required when shooting the new unsingle has also resulted in better visibility, as I tend to not look out of the tops of My eyes, as I used to do when shooting My topsingle. It has taken awhile to get used to this radically different shooting form, for Me. A lot of people do not give themselves enough time when going from a topsingle to an unsingle, and chalk it up to not being able to shoot one of these guns. I suspect Your son will take to it like a duck to water and never look back. For Me there has been a definite learning curve that has taken awhile, but feel it will pay dividends. Good luck in Your venture.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Follow Longliners lead, he is spot on.

Adjustable stock and rib features are no benefit if the operator doesn't understand how to set them to personal preferences. Get help if needed on setting. But.....you need to know what works for yourself. Where the gun should shoot to place shot center - moving target.

Get up to speed understanding the features on the gun, know what works for you before buying the fully adjustable gun. Anything less results in great frustration.

Maltz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:41 pm 
Utility Grade

The difference between a top single and unsigle is. the top single is for the shooter who can stand the visual disconnect of the barrel. a lot easier to cant the gun when you cant see the barrel.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Purely personal preference.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've owned both. The issue with the un-single is you need to make sure you're not canting the gun. There is space between your eye and the barrel, so canting will effect the POI.
One the plus side, you don't have the heat from the barrel radiating up through your line of sight on a hot day (or not near as much). I like the feel and sight picture of the unsingle, but I've shot my best scores with a top single.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The major disadvantage is doubles; can't shoot doubles with a single.

I've been shooting an O/U for a long time. It works fine for singles and doubles. The benefit is I don't need to learn a new gun.

I've owned several single barrel shotguns. They're great, but I'm going to stick with the O/U. It just makes more sense.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

Trail said: "There is space between your eye and the barrel, so canting will effect the POI."

While true, the effect of canting a gun is not magnified by a high rib vs a low rib.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/is- ... ton.79103/

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have both and shoot both. A K-80 Special -topsingle, a K-80 standard combo - undersingle with 32" O/U, also one more, an old K-80 standard combo - top single with a custom adjsutable high topsingle rib, plus the original pigeon barrels, 30" live bird O/U.

My preferences are the special topbarrel for singles and caps, the pigeon gun for skeet and clays, the standard 32" O/U barrels for trap doubles, but I can shoot all the frames and barrels well.

It did take a long time to get the standard undersingle barrel to be consistent with me doing the pointing. Still like the top singles better and they "average" better for me. There seems to be some personal preference, but that preference may be based on scores and averages. Visual comfort and confidence. For example: you have shot a BT-99 (bead - barrel close together) for 15 years and buy a new under-single. You and your subconscious will struggle with the new barrel and may need to adjust the POI differently than the 'ol 99. Everything will be different. Weight and balance, trigger pull and lock timing, visual point and sight picture. Its a commitment when you move on to a new shotgun no matter the configuration. Its also good to move to a better quality and reliability. At least you make a gain for the pain and down time of a new gun.

New guns are fun and challenging with the hope of something special like better scores. I have never found any magic in any new gun. Do find better triggers, better reliability, better prestige. Then again..... if you like your gun and have complete confidence in it, it does shoot better scores. That says more about you than the hardware.

My theory, buy 'em all and sort it out :wink: Maltz

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's good to see Maltz and Doug on the board.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 am 
Field Grade

I have used a BT99 for many years for trap. Recently moved to a different part of the country, and have found that sporting clay's is very popular here. Considering an O/U addition for skeet and sporting clay's....currently in process shopping , lol !!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:18 pm 
Crown Grade

What was the subject of this thread again.....?