It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best choice?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:00 pm 
Field Grade

I want to start shooting trap and am looking at a Win. Mod12, 28", full choke with a raised rib & monte carlo stock. One of the last models made. Or a Franchi 2003 Trap, 32", IMP Mod. & Full. What do you trap shooters think of each one? Which is the better way to go? Both are priced at $750 and condition on both is very good.

Post subject: Re: Best choice?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

I personally would go with the Franchi ............32" barrel is way more popular than the 28" barrel and would stand a better chance getting your money back when you decide to sell and upgrade later.
I had a Franchi for years (field gum o/u) and never had a bit of a problem with it.
salesrep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Either. But I would swing around, and preferably shoot, 30" and 32" barrel lengths. Bear in mind a 32" O/U will be more muzzle heavy than a 32" single shot.

I would go with a BT-99. They are not hard to sell if you want to upgrade later. I would definitely get the adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Which gun fits you best? If both guns fit equally well, I would favor the Franchi O/U. It will work for trap singles, handicap and doubles. I expect the 32" barreled Franchi, as a purpose built trap gun, to have its weight more concentrated between the hands resulting in good balance and fast handling for trap shooting. As salesrep stated, the Franchi may have better resale value.

I'm a great fan of the Model 12. IMO, a factory fixed, full choke model 12 will produce a full choke pattern equal or better than any top end B, K or P gun. That 28" barreled model 12Y appears to be a field gun that has had a Monte Carlo stock added (post '64 Y trap models had 30" barrels). I would downgrade the price for that reason. It will, however, work for singles and 'caps but, should you wish to try doubles in the future, you'll have to learn how to shuck that old pump really fast.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Regardless of which one you buy, it probably won't be around long...not if you are like 99% of trapshooters.
I'd go with the Winchester. There are always buyers for these classic pumpguns. May be a lot harder to sell the Franchi.
Since you are just getting into trapshooting, and this will be your first trap gun, you can be fairly certain that you won't have the gun long. You'll get the bug to get something "better" and this first gun will be sold off fairly quickly. That's why I'd go with the Model 12.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Winchester with 28" barrel should be the same overall length as the Franchi with a 32" barrel. I would go with the Winchester, a proven trap gun still popular.You won't added many Franchi's around.