It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nickel plated 7 1/2 better than regular for phez?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am 
Limited Edition

just noticed Cabelas has nickel plated 7 1/2 shot in 10lb bags. Would this be better than standard shot for pheasant? just got a 28ga reloader so looking forward to experimenting.

I've shot preserve pheasants a few times and lead 7 1/2 worked well. perhaps the nickel would give me a bit more range as I've seen claims that it penetrates better.

appreciate any thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Nickel plated 7 1/2 better than regular for phez?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Hi:

My recommendations for shot size for pheasants are:

6, 5, and perhaps 4 for a change. Forget about 7 1/2 size.

Good luck,

leomat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jack's Dad,

The answer is it really depends. Many people feel that the nickel makes the shot very slick and it keeps the shot from dragging the feathers into the meat of the bird. It may also help the shot pass through the choke with a little less deformation (I am not sure that this is true, I am just passing on what others have said). The coating does nothing to affect shot hardness. Hardness is what really is going to affect pattern. Some nickel shot is very good. In testing I have seen that Ballistic Products nickle shot is very hard. However, if a mfr. has taken cheaper chilled shot with a low antimony content and that is soft...the nickel coating is just really lipstick on a pig. It will not pattern as well as magnum shot without the coating.

For size I think 5 or 6 is better if you are allowed to use it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 am 
Diamond Grade

No.

Lead hardness does matter re a wash or plating.

7 1/2s will work fine for Preserve birds given an appropriate distance, choking and shell.
Not my choice but...not much will not work when pointed and triggered correctly.

I would go for premium factory loads in a 28 gauge.....experimenting with live birds seems ill-advised, at best.
The 28 gauge itself would be fine and dandy for Preserve or, wild birds under certain circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I've never shot a pheasant with a 28 ga, but with 12 or 20 ga 7 1/2s are my choice for wild pheasant for the first shot backed by 6s.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

Indeed the 7 1/2 1300fps AA 3/4oz load has been fine on preserve pheasants over pointers. Sounds like not much to be gained by using plated shot so i'll just stick with regular shot or factory loads.

Thanks for the input to all who replied. I greatly enjoy learning from the experiences of others particularly on those days where work has me stuck inside or weather keeps me off the clays field!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

I used to go pheasant hunting at a preserve that only allowed the use of 7 1/2 shot. I got tired of crippling birds, and also picking all of that small shot out of them on longer shots. I now go to a preserve that has more "wild-like" birds and allows any shot size up to 4. My choice has been 5's and 6's. Much cleaner kills and most shot passes through the birds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Halwg what preserve do you like? Wouldn't mind trying others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

jacksdad wrote:
just noticed Cabelas has nickel plated 7 1/2 shot in 10lb bags. Would this be better than standard shot for pheasant? just got a 28ga reloader so looking forward to experimenting.

I've shot preserve pheasants a few times and lead 7 1/2 worked well. perhaps the nickel would give me a bit more range as I've seen claims that it penetrates better.

appreciate any thoughts.

Stripersonfly gets the gold star... "if a mfr. has taken cheaper chilled shot with a low antimony content and that is soft...the nickel coating is just really lipstick on a pig. It will not pattern as well as magnum shot without the coating."

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Plating whether copper or nickel depends on a couple things, antimony content before it's plated and how it was applied. Copper wash is not the same as being applied via electrolysis, which is thicker.

Low antimony shot even if followed by Nickel plating by electrolysis will still be subject to a lot of deformity via setback forces.

7.5 shot is a crippler more times than not. Yes, if your close enough it will kill a pheasant, but #5 is probably the gold standard when it comes to pheasants as it gives you the best of both worlds when it comes to pattern density and pellet energy at a large range of distances.

That being said, a 28 ga. is not the ideal gun for Phez anyway, but if you must.. #6 shot would give you just a little bit more pattern density than #5 with so few pellets in a 28 ga. loading.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm 
Limited Edition

I have been shooting pheasant with the 28 gauge for several years, probably 150 roosters killed with #6 nickel plated shot. The nickel plated shot definitely drags less feathers into the flesh, and it does seem to penetrate more than unplated #6 lead. I am using the factory Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have shot a few wild pheasants with the 28 ga.
My load was Federal Premiums, copper plated, buffered 7.5 shot. It worked ok but you really have to refrain from shots over 30 yards.
I don’t hunt pheasant with a 28 ga anymore, too many better options.
On the nickel plated shot question, I use some of it but can’t factually say it adds any killing power.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Nickel plated shot was invented for use by the live pigeon shooters in competition. It was supposed to be soft shot for more weight coupled with the nickel for lubrication. I have shot it a lot and prefer it to copper plating and black shot. They are now making it at two levels. I have some nickel plated 7's that are obviously hard shot as they really fill the case. My nickel 6's are much older and do not sit up in the wad as much as the 7's. I weigh my hunting loads such that an ounce is an ounce. The nickel 6's are very effective on pheasant.

Note that the shot was developed for live pigeons. The softer stuff is best pushed at 1200 fps or so to get the best patterns. The new tendency for super high velocities defeats it.

DP

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:31 am 
Presentation Grade

leomat wrote:
Hi:

My recommendations for shot size for pheasants are:

6, 5, and perhaps 4 for a change. Forget about 7 1/2 size.

Good luck,

leomat

leomat is correct 7 1/2 shot is a very poor choice for Wild Pheasant's.
In a 28ga 6 shot will give plenty of Peneration to its useful range of 35yards.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 am 
Diamond Grade

One of my hunting buddies uses 7 1/2 shot for wild pheasant over a pointing dog. I don't think that it is a good idea, but he is successful.
I have used #7 in 28 Ga. for farm raised pheasant and prefer #6 & #5 1/2 NP shot for wild pheasant.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 am 
Diamond Grade

stubblejumper wrote:
I have been shooting pheasant with the 28 gauge for several years, probably 150 roosters killed with #6 nickel plated shot. The nickel plated shot definitely drags less feathers into the flesh, and it does seem to penetrate more than unplated #6 lead. I am using the factory Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads.

Wild birds or preserve?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:12 am 
Limited Edition

Grouse Gunner wrote:
stubblejumper wrote:

Wild birds or preserve?

Mostly released birds, some wild, all shot over pointing dogs.