It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: POI patterns vs POI slugs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I am currently working up a home defense unit with a cyl bore thick wall. I have equipped it with a Railmaster laser & the shot pattern is dead on with the laser. I have seen some pretty exotic non shouldered units out there that were iron sighted for buckshot/slug work. My query is does a slug POI tend to match the center of a shot spread or do they tend to have their own preferences? The laser is really pretty amazing until you step outside. After that, some sighting device is pretty much mandatory for daylight hits. I have installed O.E.M. ghost rings and am planning to sight it in with a "home rolled" light slug load and don't know what to expect between shot & slug....always open to suggestion & as always Safe Shooting - overthehills

Post subject: Re: POI patterns vs POI slugs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:24 am 
Tournament Grade

It varies.

Remington sluggers shoot a hair to the left (4-5" at 100 yards), federal Deep penetrator is about 2 to 3" to the right at 50 yards. Federal truball low recoil is dead on. Winchester 1oz 1600fps is 4" high at 50 yards, but dead on.

Hornady buckshot (versatite) is dead on. Federal LE 00 full power is dead on while low recoil 8 and 9 pellet versions are a hair right (3-4" at 25 yards, pattern center). Federal #1 buck flite control is 5" right and 3" high at 25 yards (again, density/center of pattern.)

These are my observations with my benelli 18.5" snt