It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salt Wood Midas Superposed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am 
Field Grade

This is compete curiosity on my part, but I am wondering what a gun like a Midas grade with a known salt wood issue is worth? Rock Island current has one listed that looks to have a pretty serious issue with the fore end at least. You'd be in a few thousand in repairs alone plus the risk of not know the condition under that wood. The barrels could be trashed. I'll be interested to see what it goes for. Seems to me it wouldn't be worth much unless you have the skills to repair it yourself, which very few do.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... idas-grade

Post subject: Re: Salt Wood Midas Superposed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could ask Art Issacson of Art’s Gun Shop what it would cost to put it back in shape and what it would be worth afterwards.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree with casonet ,If you are serious . just remember when you are done you still have a 26 1/2" gun from the salt years, it will never command a high dollar. A good friend told me "once salty , always salty" stick with pre '66. that being said, most of your info is on Arts pricelist. barrels and forends you can find with some searching . Fitting the barrels (if new bbl's are necessary) and engraving work will probably require some phone calls. lotta work for not much gun.......IMHO

here you go , just found this (if needed) m http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =100990754

Last edited by captjsjr on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm 
Field Grade

Guys, I'm not serious at all, just curious. If someone brought that thing up to me and said $500 and it's yours, sure. Way too much risk IMO, and I would be shocked if it fetched anywhere near what RIA has listed for the estimated selling price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Acme , i understood you weren't serious . the risk could be mitigated by careful research and planning but why. $ 500.00 ? I agree !!! for that money you could lean it in the corner of the barn to shoot varmints :lol: check my first post , I added a link to a set of bbls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hey, since it's already a tainted salt gun you might as well get a set of longer barrels, with screw in chokes to boot! I think it would be cool to save a high grade just because they're works of art. That is of course if you did your homework and could at least break even.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

IMHO: Junk...... there's a sucker born every minute....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 am 
Field Grade

This gun sold for $5750 :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Junnie wrote:
IMHO: Junk...... there's a sucker born every minute....

So... Junnie was correct!!! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Way too much. Unsalted 26" guns sell in that range regularly.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Art's used to have a video on their reworking a 28 gauge Midas grade superposed salt gun. Pretty interesting. When done it was like new. Don't know the cost or value, but they can be fixed.