It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: *** The Official Tristar TT-15 thread ***
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, you should have got the "Sporting" variant. The TT-15 DTA, DT etc. are purpose built ATA type trap guns. They "will not" be suitable for bunker trap or sporting clays. They will shoot "way to high" for a clay game that requires a flat shooting gun. (You need the right tool for the job) I see some bunker shooters manage a high rib but it is not the norm. I have a 11mmX11mm short rib on my purpose built bunker gun. I hope Tristar imports the bunker variant in the near future, I will be sure to pick one up. I asked them about getting hold of one and they seemed to have no interest. Best of luck on the resale. Let us know how you make out. They seem to go pretty quick at near retail right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:40 am 
Limited Edition

sullij wrote:
Yes, you should have got the "Sporting" variant. The TT-15 DTA, DT etc. are purpose built ATA type trap guns. They "will not" be suitable for bunker trap or sporting clays. They will shoot "way to high" for a clay game that requires a flat shooting gun. (You need the right tool for the job) I see some bunker shooters manage a high rib but it is not the norm. I have a 11mmX11mm short rib on my purpose built bunker gun. I hope Tristar imports the bunker variant in the near future, I will be sure to pick one up. I asked them about getting hold of one and they seemed to have no interest. Best of luck on the resale. Let us know how you make out. They seem to go pretty quick at near retail right now.

Good advice, Thanks

Should have waited for the new Sporting CT5X, but nooooo.I bought a TT-15 DT 30” for sporting clays. Great for Trap ( not my game though) .Will try to sell it at my club this weekend. If no takers I will post it online. Got it 12 days ago ,fired less than 200 rounds. Full warrenty and a case too. Send PM if interested

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently ordered the TriStar TT-15 Sporting and waiting for it to be delivered. I'll report back after I receive it and take it for a spin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 am 
Limited Edition

supersavant wrote:
I recently ordered the TriStar TT-15 Sporting and waiting for it to be delivered. I'll report back after I receive it and take it for a spin.

Great! I can’t wait to see real photos and read some reviews written by real people!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:31 pm 
Utility Grade

JerseyJim wrote:
Great! I can’t wait to see real photos and read some reviews written by real people!

Picked up the TriStar TT-15 Sporting yesterday - bought it from Bud's and shipped to a local FFL dealer. I was impressed by the quality of the wood.. I dropped the forearm while putting it together and there was nary a scratch or dent that I could see. Field-style stock, 30" ported barrel with fiber optic sight and middle bead, and came with 5 chokes (IM installed on the bottom barrel; M on the top barrel; SK, IC and F in a choke case with wrench.)

Took it out today and patterned it with 2 shots through both barrels.

Bottom barrel patterned at 50/50.
    Top barrel patterned at 80/20.

(I'm a little suspicious about the top barrel, it might be user error. I'll try again next time I'm out.)

Then shot 2 rounds to trap using the bottom barrel - it felt good and shouldered well enough for me.

It's difficult to say what the difference is between the Sporting (33410) and TT-15 Sporting (35425) and what you get with the price difference other than weight and forearm style but I'm happy with the purchase of my first over under.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SS,

I'm interested in hearing more about the POI of both barrels once you get a chance to test them out in greater detail. The 50/50 sounds good for the bottom barrel. The 80/20 not so good for the top barrel for sporting clays.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Has anyone seen ,shot or handled the new Sporting C-5X #35425????

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

JerseyJim,

I just ordered the 35425 today. I should have it early next week. I’ll update you soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 am 
Utility Grade

Aloha from Oahu Hawaii! New here......
Got a question...
Bought an unsingle. Got the comb adjusted and have practiced moving the rib around. My understanding is the front adjustment is POI and the rear is the sight line adjustment. Rite now I have the front set in the middle slot and the rear in the top slot. Unfortunately our trap range does not have a pattern board so gotta wing it. Trying to get around a 70/30. Most of the local shooters don’t seem to offer up any help on this or they don’t know. Can anyone provide guidance?
One more thing... is the FO sight Screwed in?
Appreciate the help
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I picked up my TT-15 Sporting today. I’m very impressed to say the least.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 am 
Limited Edition

rcleofly wrote:

Tell us all about it. The wood, the overall quality, etc

Tristar said the a stock with adjustable comb and butt plate can be ordered for $325. A comparable Browning 725 Sporting without an adj stock would run $3000!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures.. travel, family, life, etc. Here are pictures of the TriStar TT-15 Sporting (#35425):

TT-15 Sporting

Stock and receiver

Forearm

Breech face

Monobloc

Extended chokes and wrench

Assembled

Outside in natural light

Last edited by supersavant on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow great pix! Best of luck and Break em ALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:25 pm 
Utility Grade

JerseyJim wrote:
rcleofly wrote:

Tristar said the a stock with adjustable comb and butt plate can be ordered for $325. A comparable Browning 725 Sporting without an adj stock would run $3000!

I'm considering the adjustable stock for my TT-15 Sporting, but looking at the pictures the adjustable stock is meant for the trap models (high rib) and the comb would be too high on the Sporting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
SS,

I'm interested in hearing more about the POI of both barrels once you get a chance to test them out in greater detail. The 50/50 sounds good for the bottom barrel. The 80/20 not so good for the top barrel for sporting clays.

Ulysses,
I took the TriStar out to another club this morning and the top barrel definitely shoots high - I'll contact TriStar about this. However, I shot 2 rounds of 5-stand and still had fun.

Round count 4/28/18: 125 (FTF: 0)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:49 pm 
Limited Edition

supersavant wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
SS,

Ulysses,
I took the TriStar out to another club this morning and the top barrel definitely shoots high - I'll contact TriStar about this. However, I shot 2 rounds of 5-stand and still had fun.

Round count 4/28/18: 125 (FTF: 0)

How much higher? 60/40? ,70/30? There is info on Trapshooters.com and on Shotgunworld.

Some say muzzle jump on the top barrell is the culprit . Others say pattern it with fresh paper at 13 yards. If it is a manufacturing problem ..uh oh! Here is a good piece by a respected writer .

https://shotgunreport.com/2013/08/19/ba ... nvergence/

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Have you patterened it yet? Results?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:13 am 
Utility Grade

JerseyJim wrote:

I went out last weekend and I'm getting similar results from 2 weeks ago:

Top barrel: 100/0
Bottom barrel: 50/50

I don't know if it's me (muzzle jump) or the gun or a combination of both. My next plan is to buy a in-chamber laser and see what the results are before sending back to TriStar.

Either way, it's still a lot of fun to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:42 am 
Limited Edition

supersavant wrote:
JerseyJim wrote:

I went out last weekend and I'm getting similar results from 2 weeks ago:

Top barrel: 100/0
Bottom barrel: 50/50

I don't know if it's me (muzzle jump) or the gun or a combination of both. My next plan is to buy a in-chamber laser and see what the results are before sending back to TriStar.

Either way, it's still a lot of fun to shoot.

Thanks, Please keep us posted. I will buy one unless the barrels are off. That would be a deal breaker . Sporting and 5 stand are tough enough . 60/40 would be the max I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Setting the Rib on the TT

As far as setting up the rib: There is three points of adjustment at the front (muzzle end of barrel) and three points of adjustments in the rear (closest to the receiver). If the rib is set at the bottom in the rear and highest in the front this will achieve your lowest POI. If the rib is set highest in the rear and lowest in the front this will achieve your highest POI. You can play with it and adjust as necessary. The comb can be adjusted left, right, up, and caddied in either direction