It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uggie 221 questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

Hey guys. Been looking for a decent sxs for a while now, and finally lucked into an Ugartechea 221 20 gauge for a good price(I think,manyway). It's in great mechanical shape, with a little cosmetic wear on it. The finish on the wood is super dark. It's chipped in a few places(almost plastic looking) and if I have the gun in the sunlight, I can see some pretty nice figure in the wood underneath. I'd like to refinish the wood, but have never taken a sxs apart before. Done plenty of rifles, and pump and auto shotguns though. Are sxs inherently more difficult to take apart? Is it something that I can seriously mess up if I don't do it right? And tips or tricks to it, or things I should be aware of, or am I better off letting a professional do it? Also, if it's something I could handle myself, is there anything else I should check or do while I have it apart?

Post subject: Re: Uggie 221 questions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone? I watched some YouTube vids. Basically, make sure gun is cocked, break it down, trigger guard screw, trigger guard, screw under trigger guard, trigger plate screw, screw under takedown lever. Anything else? Any loose parts that will fall out?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Most people who refinish their first shotgun mess it up. Log in refinish on this website under search and you'll find dozens of people telling you everything you ever wanted to know.

There are several big stumbling points to avoid. A screwdriver must fit the screw exactly and fill the slot. Spanish slots are very fine. The gun must be held firmly by a vice or an assistant. Use a piece of foam rubber to hold the thumb lever out of the way while you try to loosen that screw. Loosen all screws 1/2 turn before you disassemble the gun. Count the turns of the screws as you take them out and write them down. Reassemble it using that many exact turns.

Before you start taking the gun apart, you might want to consider just getting some super fine BRONZE wool and mineral spirits. Lightly rub the wood finish until you've taken out all of the scratches. Wipe the gun down and see what you've got. You may only need to wipe on a thin coat of Tru oil and wipe it back off. It could save you some money. If you don't like the looks of it then you can disassemble it.
The most important advice anyone will ever give you is go slow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:46 pm 
Field Grade

Well, she's all apart. Only took about 15 minutes, and everything went smoothly. Have some stripper on the wood now, so I'll see how the old stuff comes off. It's some sort of thick, dark, plasticy looking stuff. I can only assume it's not original, as I've never seen one that looks like it. Hopefully it's not a pain to get off!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

pictures make these threads more fun...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am 
Field Grade

I hear ya. I kinda got out f the picture thing when the whole photobucket ordeal happened. I'll take a bunch of pics along the way and see if I can get them posted up when she's all finished.

So far, the wood is all stripped. Whatever that finish was, it was awful to get off! There's definitely some neck figure/grain to the wood now that the dark cruddy finish is removed. Next up, time to sand it, and then some light stain and seal the grain before putting the new finish on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Better be careful with the sanding or the metal will end up above the stock.!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

No heavy sanding will take place. Just some 600 and 800 grit to smooth the surface of the wood after getting the old finish off. Grain sealer/stain has been applied, and all is going smoothly so far. The old finish was for certain not a factory finish, as once I got it off, I discovered where a sling stud had been in the buttstock. The hole was filled with a plug, and blended in to the contour of the stock very well, but the grain in the wood doesn't match up perfectly, and is noticeable. Other than that, no cracks, dings, etc. to be found.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

Well, she's all back together. Everything went smoothly, wood to metal fit are as they were before I started, and it looks 10 times better now than when I started, at least to my eye anyway!