It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a Lewis Option?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been hunting/shooting since age 6. Used to shoot at skeet range to warm up for hunting season and shoot clays on the farm some. I am new to NSCA and have only shot 2 times on a Sporting Clays course. Looking at an event registration and it had a "Lewis Option" along with HOA, Concurrent, and Back to Class. What is the Lewis deal?

Thanks.

JB

Post subject: Re: What is a Lewis Option?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm 
Crown Grade

http://www.ga-sportingclays.org/lewissy ... f#zoom=100

Explains it in detail

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:38 pm 
Utility Grade

oneounceload,

Thanks. New to this stuff and it wasn't in the NSCA rule book.

JB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Because it isn't part of the NSCA' it's something that individual clubs might do to garner more interest and increase payouts without using their own money.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Never under stud it. We used it on two fund raisers. Shot my arss off with my 28 gauge 82 & 88 when the best master class shooter did 92 & 98. No gauge classes so prizes when to top score and to a 72 and 67. Best as I can remember. One of those I was #10 out of 78 shooters. Just my non-considered opinion we should give handy caps for lesser gauges. Not sure where the 28 falls but the 410 should be five points.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

tjen wrote:
Just my non-considered opinion we should give handy caps for lesser gauges. Not sure where the 28 falls but the 410 should be five points.

Unless it’s specfically a sub-gauge event, there’s no handicap and no reason to give a handicap... you’re free to shoot 12ga. You choose to shoot something smaller, you shouldn’t get bonus points. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Can not follow your logic. Sub gauge events are for sub gauges only. These were just fund raisers, fun shoots. So if a teen age gal shoots a 28 or 410 she has a attitude and does not deserve a handicap? I am neither a teen or have a attitude, it just seems the right thing to do from a logical stand point. I do not have a 12 suitable for target (870 camo) no need for one either.

From your post what I get is, if you do not buy into 12 gauge target gun only with every advantage you do not belong in our game. This only from a logical stand point. Am I wrong?

I understand spreading prizes out between scoring brackets just not the non handicap. My engineering back ground makes me question "how does this work". "And can it be improved".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

As far as I am concerned, tjen is right on. The published "Lewis Option" seems to me to be a "crapshoot" to just spread out the prize money a little bit.

And I am a firm believer in "sub gauge" being for a specific small gauge only.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:16 am 

BobK wrote:
As far as I am concerned, tjen is right on. The published "Lewis Option" seems to me to be a "crapshoot" to just spread out the prize money a little bit.

And I am a firm believer in "sub gauge" being for a specific small gauge only.

While your premise is reasonable, Lewis Class is a method to distribute "Additional Wagered Cash" in a different manner than what would be determined by superior shooting alone. The prize money is a different pot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Adding handicap points to your score would only move you to a higher place on the list of Lewis class scores. The handicap score might win and it might not and your actual score could be the winner. If it is a 28 gauge event only and you add 5 points, nothing changes as everyone's score goes up by 5. If you want to add handicap points, then offer a handicap event where all gauges compete and points are added for the smaller gauge guns. Handicap events often consist of handicapping by class.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 am 
Crown Grade

And Curly is right, too. It is simply a way of "spreading prize money around", (but without regard for degree of "skill" or "ability").

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobK wrote:
And Curly is right, too. It is simply a way of "spreading prize money around", (but without regard for degree of "skill" or "ability").

Well, the most skilled person to play lewis wins something.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

tjen wrote:
Can not follow your logic. Sub gauge events are for sub gauges only. These were just fund raisers, fun shoots. So if a teen age gal shoots a 28 or 410 she has a attitude and does not deserve a handicap? I am neither a teen or have a attitude, it just seems the right thing to do from a logical stand point. I do not have a 12 suitable for target (870 camo) no need for one either.

Not delving too deep into that, but I can speak for our specific setup and reasoning here.
1. Our charity events are set as charity events. We try to keep targets interesting but within 30 yards for the most part. Anything farther usually has full belly or dome. So one a course like that, there isnt really a disadvantage.We have had multiple of our events won with a high score posted by a 410 or 28 gauge. Bubba Bailey was a local legend here. I saw him out shoot so many people with a 410 vs 12 ga. it still makes me chuckle when I think back.
2. During NSCA shoots, we follow NSCA rules. The competition is based on NSCA classes and not gauges unless a special side event.
3. If we did do a handicap, where do we draw the line? I have a customer who likes shooting his 12 gauge to reduce recoil. It is a heavier gun with lighter shells so less kick than most subgauges you would find. He shoots a 2.5 dr. - 3/4oz -8 out of his 12 gauge. Would he get the 28 gauge handicap since it is the same load or would he get the 12 gauge just because the barrel it goes out?
4. I started shooting a 28 gauge because I was working on quail preserve and was small too. I borrowed a 12 gauge for events until I saved up enough for that. I understand not needing multiple guns and if I didnt run this I would still be shooting just that 28 gauge. Most clubs will have loaner so you dont have to make the investment for a shotgun for a few times a year. We have several people who utilize this option here.

Hopefully helps shed the light on why I think one way currently.

As for Lewis, it was just always there to me since the early 90s. I felt like a door prize.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
3. If we did do a handicap, where do we draw the line? I have a customer who likes shooting his 12 gauge to reduce recoil. It is a heavier gun with lighter shells so less kick than most subgauges you would find. He shoots a 2.5 dr. - 3/4oz -8 out of his 12 gauge. Would he get the 28 gauge handicap since it is the same load or would he get the 12 gauge just because the barrel it goes out?

No, because his gun is a 12 gauge. I shoot the same load in my guns. If I showed up to shoot a subgauge event with those loads, I wouldn't be allowed to enter because the gun is still a 12 gauge.

Bruce Buck, when he was with the CT Travelers helped develop a handicap rating for events. I am sure Marist knows the one I am talking about. There were additional handicaps for using SxS, etc. so the person shooting as 12 gauge event with a SxS 410 got the biggest boost to his final score.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 am 
Limited Edition

tjen wrote:
Never under stud it. We used it on two fund raisers. Shot my arss off with my 28 gauge 82 & 88 when the best master class shooter did 92 & 98. No gauge classes so prizes when to top score and to a 72 and 67. Best as I can remember. One of those I was #10 out of 78 shooters. Just my non-considered opinion we should give handy caps for lesser gauges. Not sure where the 28 falls but the 410 should be five points.

1. In the instance you describe, no one forced anyone to shoot a sub gage. You make your choices and you take your chances.

2. Lewis class is not based on performance. It's based on chance.

3. If you want to play for money play helice or box birds. Bring your 28 ga and ask for a handicap too..... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
BobK wrote:

Well, the most skilled person to play lewis wins something.

Steve

Looking at the link provided by oneounceload, it seems as if the guy who "lost" in class 1 would have "won" class 2 if he had just missed one more bird.
Why not just sell raffle tickets?