CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WH Baker; J Jordan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:50 pm 
I am trying to determine the value of the following antique guns:
WH Baker & Co, Syacuse NY, 10 gauge, 38 - 55 drilling, 28" barrel
J Jordan, Denver CT, 10 gauge, double barrelled muzzleloader, burled walnut stock
Thanks!
Joe

Post subject: Re: WH Baker; J Jordan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Does the drilling have foreign proofmarks? I suspect it was imported by H.D. Folsom and tagged the W.H.Baker & Co. name and was a tradegun.

I can find nothing on the J.Jordan but there was a plethora of small gun makers scattered all over the east coast who produced firearms on a small scale.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:31 pm 
The Baker Gun Company in New York State is known to have made combination guns i.e. double barrel rifle/shotguns but if they made true Drillings(2 shotgun plus a rifle barrel) I'm unaware of it.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:22 am 
W H Baker and Co. was a partnership with W H Baker and L C Smith. They made double barrels and drillings from 1877-1879 or so. Baker then left to start Ithaca Gun Co. a few years later and L C Smith made guns on his own until selling the company to the Hunter Bros. in the late '80s. Value of the gun depends on condition and grade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:37 pm 
Crown Grade

hmm interesting, I thought that the only company in the U.S. that made drillings was the Three Barrel Gun Co. in West Virginia or Virginia..

Trying to think... didn't Doc Holliday carry a three barrel shotgun into the O.K. Corral?....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's the passages from the Bluebook on this subject
Previous manufacturer located in Syracuse, NY circa 1878-1883.

Originally started by William H. and Ellis L. Baker circa 1878. During this time, Leroy H. and Lyman C. Smith financed the new company, W.H. Baker & Co. Circa 1880, L.C. Smith bought the interest from the two Baker partners and continued production with markings reading "L. C. Smith and Co., Maker of the Baker Gun" on the rib, "Baker Pat." on the locks. Smith decided to drop the Baker name in 1883, but continued to manufacture this gun and a shotgun/rifle combination gun in Syracuse, NY until 1888. At this point, the company was sold to the Hunter Brothers and this new company, Baker Gun & Forging Co., began making both the New Baker shotguns (see separate listing below) in addition to the Ithaca gun. The company was sold to the Hunter Brothers circa 1888, and the Hunter Arms Company made L.C. Smith shotguns for approximately 60 years at which point the Marlin Firearms Company bought the business during the early 1940´s.
Baker guns were originally 10 or 12 ga., and unusual in that the opening mechanism was operated by pressing forward on the front trigger. While relatively rare, most original Baker guns (including the shotgun/rifle) do not have a lot of original finish remaining. Most specimens are priced in the $400-$850 range, assuming finish is less than 10%. If condition is better than 40%, guns have to be evaluated individually for accurate pricing.

it would be nice if one of us could find a couple of pics of these guns....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:53 pm 
:cry: I have pictures of these guns and their marks, but no website to post them on. As I am new here, I am not familiar with this site. I can email the pics to you if you are interested. Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:53 pm 
The history in the Blue Book is full of errors. Proper history was published over 35 years ago, but various publications keep repeating incorrect histories without actually researching anything. If you want to email me photos, I may be able to help more ...... darylh@in-tch.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Farmer Joe, you can upload the pics right into your personal photo album , we host them. just click on your profile and look for the photo album link, it's pretty easy.

Daryl, where is the proper history?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:49 am 
Field Grade

You might read “W.H. Baker: “Gunmaker of Distinction” by Kenneth H. Shanks American Rifleman June, 1968.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:40 pm 
The American Rifleman article is a good start. Since it was published, more correct history has come to light, but it is 90% correct and the place to start. There are at least 3 articles in the Double Gun Journal on Baker guns.

As far as U.S. drillings go, they were made by W.H. Baker, W.H. Baker and Co., L.C. Smith, Lefever, Livingston, Hollenbeck Gun. Co., Royal Arms, and several more obscure makers. Adolph produced some beautiful ones, but like many of the early small shops, his unfinished actions were imported.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:17 pm 
I have a double barrell Batavia Leader shotgun that was made by the Baker Gun Company

Any idea when it might have been made ?

It is in great shape...any idea what it might be worth ?