It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AYA xxv boxlock information appreciated
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

volleyfire wrote:
Well, if you're going to go with that gun, I've got you covered.
Buy some chamber reducers to shoot small gauge shells in that gun. Get a set of 20 gauge or 28 gauge and shoot pretty much any kind of field load. Yes, they do actually work. But do yourself a favor and read about them BEFORE you buy a set.

If the guys are right and I can use 2 3/4 one ounce #6's for squirrel and rabbits, I'm good to go with the xxv in 12 bore. I'm willing to adapt.

I may not know about upland birds but I do know the Arkansas Ozarks. It's hard country to get around in. Much of the Ozark National Forest isn't very tame. Some of the best of it is downright impenetrable. Lugging around a long heavy gun isn't anyone's idea of relaxation.

I appreciate your idea and may in the future choose to follow it. In the meantime I'm still leaning towards the AYA.

Since I haven't heard back from anyone else what's your opinion of the HK fabarm I linked earlier. It's from the same gun store and I "might" be able to renegotiate. Would it offer any advantages over the AYA in your opinion?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Airmedic1 wrote:
I have a 12b that I shoot well. If it is brand new I would clean it, lubricate the hinge and shoot it. Mine weighs 6lbs even and it is not a gun designed to shoot the super high velocity shells that are so common now days. I used to shoot the B&P 2.5" High Pheasant with great success but I ran out this year. Still looking for a replacement and will see if I can find some Game bores or go with RST's. Good luck.

AM

I found some Kent Brand 2 1/2 one ounce #7's on midwayusa.

I really liked that RST site. They had some lite 2 3/4 one ounce #5's. I book marked that site.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do the Italians make shotguns? Coming on here and asking about Italian shotguns is like going to Papa John's and asking them if they've got a special on their fish sandwich.

If you are going to glide up and down Ozark ridges, we want
to save you a little weight . But I see you your idea of staying with a 12 gauge if you anticipate running into a herd of mountain hogs that might want to munch you off like a mushroom.

You are getting a good gun but you are not getting it cheap. I respect your statement about giving your word on the deal. There is seldom a perfect deal.

Kyrie has lost and forgotten more information about Spanish guns than the rest of us know, but I don't think you're going to get enough shots on those ridges to wear out that AYA with any standard light field load shell... unless it has an aluminum frame. You should check that with AYA.

If you run into a hog you can slip in a slug and let the chitlins fall where they may.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good all around light shotgun if correct ammo is selected. In twelve gauge one can get reduced velocity (low recoil) slugs, buck shot and game loads. In slug or buck shot the ammo is usually found under 'tactical' or 'home defense' designation typical load being around 1200fps. Cabelas even sells 2&1/4" shell six pellet 00 buck shot with velocity of 1200fps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Go back and read one of our old posts: "Spanish proof how tough is it?" Just look it up here under search. It will make you feel better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Well, never mind.

I owe everyone here a great deal. I further researched this issue with the xxv and determined, thru New England Custom Gun, the xxv of that vintage will not handle heavy field loads just as Kyrie indicated. That little xxv is a beautiful little gun but probably not suited to the trials and tribulations I would subject it to. In the Arkansas Ozarks even the chickens are tough as nails.

I spoke with the man I negotiated the original deal with and he was more than willing to renegotiate for the Italian gun. Nice kid. As I already have a closet full of heavy field ammunition this would seem to an acceptable alternative.

Once again, thanks for the information. It was invaluable and kept me from making a potentially costly mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Out of the fat into the fire! You may be thanking us. But nobody is prevented you from making a mistake. I thought you wanted a light gun. You can buy a Zabala for $600 built like that gun, and it probably wouldn't have rust on the end of the barrels. This is what comes of asking for advice after you've already made a deal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I've been out of touch for a while and finally got back in town. That shotgun is a twin to mine but by reading this it seems you found something else. I love mine but agree with Kyrie when he says it is a light game gun. I posted in this forum asking what members suggest I use since I ran out of the B&P High Pheasants. It is a gun that I carry a lot and shoot little while pheasant hunting.
So many 12b shells are such high velocity anymore. It's hard to find a lower velocity shell that won't beat me or the 6lb gun up. You could probably shoot a few of those 1450 fps shells without hurting that gun but it would not digest a steady diet of them and the recoil would be brutal. I think I'm going to buy some RST's for mine.
AM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 am 
Limited Edition

The AYA XXV has been around for a long time. It is a very nicely made gun and yours looks to be in very good condition. It will be absolutely ideal for walked up pheasant or rabbit shooting or for quail. At six pounds two ounces it is a little on the light side but if you are a normally built man you should have no problem with the recoil as long as you stick to one ounce or 1 and 1/8 ounce loads at around the 1200fps mark. Enjoy your new purchase and have fun with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:31 am 
Field Grade

The AYA you referenced will handle
1 oz. #6’s all day long. I’m sure the guy was more than willing to work a deal on the Fabarm. It’s a difficult gun to sell. Not much market interest. It will be heavier, but that might be the only advantage it may have for your setting, and I find it debatable that it’s really an advantage. The Aya is twice the gun that the Fabarm is. I would stick with the AYA.
JMHO.