It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Model 12 28ga
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Ga. Skeet wrote:
I have a true Model 12 28ga. that my uncle gave me in 75 to complete my set. I sent it to Simmons and had them re-blue and completely go thru the gun. They sent it out for a factory dimensions up graded stock and I shot 50 shells thru it in 75 and it has been in vault since then.
Don't have a clue what it is worth.

With the gun having been reblued ,restocked and an after market rib installed, for a true collector it would not be worth as much as an all original unaltered gun,in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not a collector but a competition shooter. I have reblued and re stocked many K guns, P guns , and SO5's and 6's. I have had Wilkinson and Eyster rework many barrels. I am a believer in pretty guns with nice wood that shoot.
Never had a problem selling nice guns. Nor really trying to sell this one just wanted a idea of what it was worth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not a collector but a competition shooter. I have reblued and re stocked many K guns, P guns , and SO5's and 6's. I have had Wilkinson and Eyster rework many barrels. I am a believer in pretty guns with nice wood that shoot.
Never had a problem selling nice guns. Nor really trying to sell this one just wanted a idea of what it was worth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ga. Skeet wrote:

I like that attitude.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 am 
Utility Grade

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =101026985

I know it's tough to tell from pictures, but does anyone have immediate concerns about the legitimacy of this one? I talked to the seller and he tells me it's a real 28 and didn't start out as a 16 or 20 gauge. Priced lower because it doesn't have a solid rib? The pic of the top of the receiver looks matte, so we're wondering about that too. When we check it out, we'll do our best to look at the things mentioned in this thread.

If there's any M12 experts on here in the Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee area that would help with verification, we'd do our best to compensate you for your expertise.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:31 pm 
Field Grade

I've been working on a piece of wood for a model 12 in 28 ga. I was told it would fit 16 and 20 ga also. It was rough cut from a duplicator and I did all the sanding and oil finish work. I'm going to have an old timer checker it who is a master at Winchester checkering. Then off the the auction for it will be for sale. Here is a picture of it on my Browning M 12 in 28 ga , then off the gun with a little more shine. I've been told it's worth quite a bit. When you find your M 12 in 28 ga, you might like this.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

XiXiTiger wrote:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/winchester-shotguns-model-12/winchester-model-12-28-ga.cfm?gun_id=101026985

I know it's tough to tell from pictures, but does anyone have immediate concerns about the legitimacy of this one?

No expert here but did notice that one pic says SKEET (underside below the two matching serial numbers) and another pic of the barrel says Full.

Edit: nevermind, it's Skeet grade, not choke. Duh :-)

Last edited by DallasCMT on Sat May 05, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:16 am 
Crown Grade

tvtech wrote:
I've been working on a piece of wood for a model 12 in 28 ga...

That's beautiful, excellent work!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

XiXiTiger wrote:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/winchester-shotguns-model-12/winchester-model-12-28-ga.cfm?gun_id=101026985

I know it's tough to tell from pictures, but does anyone have immediate concerns about the legitimacy of this one? I talked to the seller and he tells me it's a real 28 and didn't start out as a 16 or 20 gauge. Priced lower because it doesn't have a solid rib? The pic of the top of the receiver looks matte, so we're wondering about that too. When we check it out, we'll do our best to look at the things mentioned in this thread.

If there's any M12 experts on here in the Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee area that would help with verification, we'd do our best to compensate you for your expertise.

Thanks for any help!

Nice looking gun.No expert ,so I cannot comment any more than that.:)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

If that is an original 28 gauge Skeet Grade receiver with a plain, unribbed full choke barrel, it would be well worth the asking price. No attempt is made to document the receiver or the original finish. The wood has nothing in common with a normal prewar Skeet Grade. No one can prove that this great gun came that way from the factory.