It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US Navy / Coastguard Buckshot Loads
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:05 am 
Utility Grade

Team,

Without breaking Opsec or any such rules, can anyone tell me what buckshot the USN and USCG uses for boarding ops?

Post subject: Re: US Navy / Coastguard Buckshot Loads
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 am 
Field Grade

12 gauge :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

The military 12ga shells i had were Winchester 00 Buck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are certain people who will believe that whatever the "authorities" use is the best. The truth is that the military uses whatever is made by the lowest bidder.

Someone made an extensive post a few years back about military buckshot. (Sorry, I just don't have the energy to search the archives and find it.) What he found is other than the olive drab plastic cases and black non-reflective brass and official box, these shells were identical to the cheap Wall-Mart Winchester 9 pellet 00 Buck available to commonors. The powder weight, pellet weight, shell construction, velocity and spread were the same.

Just because the all mighty federal government uses something does not mean that it is better or even as good as what you can buy. There, did I break Opsec?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

krameranzac wrote:
Team,

Without breaking Opsec or any such rules, can anyone tell me what buckshot the USN and USCG uses for boarding ops?

We could tell you, but we'd have to kill you.
:mrgreen:

Do what Ezra said, go buy some good civ. ammo,, the US Mil doesn't get super secret squirrel bullets (except in the Abrams anyhow).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Sometimes the government uses the best of the best (5.56 Browntip, which isnt exactly secret squirrel, but it is relatively impossible for most to get outside official chains of supply), and sometimes they use absolute crap (olive drab 00 Winchester buck).

Federal shotgun products are the ones with the best reputation in the LE world, with good reason. I'd stick with then, as they also have the best reputation in the civilian world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

I believe the military issue buckshot is usually just a normal load of 9 pellet 00 buck in a 2.75” shell.

Pretty standard load you can find at Wally World.

I think they used the number 4 buckshot at one time.

I’d just buy whatever works and patterns best from you shotgun. Mine aren’t real picky, so I got lucky. I use winchester, federal, and Remington Wally World special buckshot. It’s cheap and works fine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 am 
Utility Grade

The above posts are all correct. When I was in the USMC we were issued Winchester 00 Buck. The only "super secret" shotgun ammo I ever saw were the flechette rounds issued to embassy guards. Picture a bunch of tungsten darts packed into a shot shell. It's primary purpose was of course to penetrate any body armor an attacker would be wearing. I've never seen them outside the service and they probably aren't legal anyway.