It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Septimus chambers gunmaker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:36 am 
Field Grade

I just purchased an English SxS that was made by Septimus Chambers. Does anyone have any information on this gunmaker? It is a very well made boxlock with fine scroll engraving and 30" barrels. What I would like to do is find out some history about it. I would love to shoot it, and it is nitro proofed to 1-1/8oz, but the question that I have is that the dealer I purchased it from says that it is measuring 2-3/4" chambers, which leads me to believe someone has lengthened it from 2-1/2" chambers. Any information about this gunmaker would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Post subject: Re: Septimus chambers gunmaker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:26 pm 
Crown Grade

John Walter's 576pp Dictionary of Guns and Gunmakers (published in London by Greenhill Books in 2001) lists a number of former and current British and European inventors, gunmakers and manufacturers. The book may have the information you seek.

FWIW, the Gavin Gardiner website still has an old auction listing for a Septimus Chambers 12 bore No. 1200 (s/n?) with 28" sleeved barrels having 2-1/2" chambers, 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, nitro proof. 6 Lbs. 10 ounces. The photo that accompanied the advert. showed a very nice boxlock, straight grip stock with teardrops and a splinter forearm. Apparently, the gun was not sold at that time.

Many British doubleguns have thin wall barrels. If the chambers of your gun were lengthened in the UK, the gun will show that it was submitted for mandatory re-proof and so marked to comply with British standards. If the chambers were lengthened Stateside, have a knowledgeable doublegun 'smith measure the wall thickness in the chamber area to determine if the barrels comply with the minimum safe standard.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

Post subject: Re: Septimus chambers gunmaker
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

I've found an advert for Septimus Chambers on the front page of "The Rhondda Leader" newspaper of 1901.

SEPTUM'S CHAMBERS Gun Maker & Athletic Outfitter, 21, CASTLE STREET, CARDIFF.

Also at Bristol and Shepton Mallet. Telephone No. 01339. CRICKET BATS-" Excelsior" Bat, 6s., special value Tennis Rackets, from 5s. Cricket Balls, from Is, FISHING TACKLE; Rods, from 1 shilling. Flies, from (1 penny per dozen, splendid value. Quoits, Table Tennis,

From that I'd guess that Chambers were a Wales and (English) West Country sporting goods outfitters. I'd doubt they were gun makers, more probably gun retailers who had their stuff made elsewhere, in all likelihood Birmingham.

Somewhat confirming that guess is this pic of a gun retailed by Chambers, but with a rather crude name plate and stamp referring to the Lincoln Jeffries patent (a Birmingham firm). A bespoke maker wouldn't put rough work like that out. This is almost certainly an air rifle.

And a rather handsome motor case by them ...

And the very nice box lock doppelflinten found ... (if the link works) http://www.ajbells.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... jpg?x40259

Eug