It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli Supernova 922r compliance parts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey guys, I know that this subject has been touched on alot, but I have yet to find a good answer. I have a supernova tactical that I want to tacticool out for HD. I am of the opinion better safe than sorry, so please no discussions of 922r as a law. I have counted the parts and I believe my shotgun has 13 imported parts. So far I have found GG&G followers and a mesa tactical urbino stock, lowering it to 11 parts. I cannot find another part, other than barrels, which I do not want to switch out. Any other options out there?

Post subject: Re: Benelli Supernova 922r compliance parts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been prosecuted for swapping out too many imported parts?
And what constitutes a "part"?
Is it just major assemblies or does every little spring and screw count?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

This from his other thread in the Benelli forum has the effective parts list. http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This illustrates the absolute absurdity of federal firearms laws. The amount of imported parts on your shotgun has absolutely no bearing on your potential to use it in a crime.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I know. Especially because this does not pertain to any American made shotgun. This can be done all day to an 870, no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Player 2 wrote:
Hey guys, I know that this subject has been touched on alot, but I have yet to find a good answer. I have a supernova tactical that I want to tacticool out for HD. I am of the opinion better safe than sorry, so please no discussions of 922r as a law. I have counted the parts and I believe my shotgun has 13 imported parts. So far I have found GG&G followers and a mesa tactical urbino stock, lowering it to 11 parts. I cannot find another part, other than barrels, which I do not want to switch out. Any other options out there?

So,,, lemme see if I understand this..............

Your shotgun you believe was imported with more foreign-made Important Parts than is legal for it to be imported with, and you want to fix this while you Mall Ninjitsu it out......???

Laudable, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Not quite, it was imported in a "sporting" condition, which means it can hold less that 5 rounds. I want to improve it for home defense, aka go over the 5 round count and add a light. Doing that, according to the ATF, takes the gun out of a sporting condition and in turn makes the gun illegal. Now, I have never found anyone indicted for this law, but they have made cases against horandy's zombie rounds, so better to be safe than sorry imo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I have been researching this out of curiosity for a couple days and haven’t found much other than many asking the same question and coming up empty. One thought I had though is to take one or two of the simple small metal parts to a machine shop and have a copy made. Then with a receipt and a short description of the part you have evidence of a USA made replacement. That may be more trouble than you want to go through but is the only way I can think of to accomplish your objective legally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Also found this. Doesn’t change anything other than maybe you like this follower choice better.
https://freedomfightertactical.com/coll ... ccessories

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Seems like every aftermarket gun parts company out there makes a mag extension for the Supernova. That begs the question, who is buying all these mag extensions if it makes their shotgun noncompliant? What am I missing here?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

duckqwacker wrote:
Seems like every aftermarket gun parts company out there makes a mag extension for the Supernova. That begs the question, who is buying all these mag extensions if it makes their shotgun noncompliant? What am I missing here?

Because most people have never heard of 922r and most who have doesn't care about 922r.

I dont have a supernova, but do have a M4 and It pisses me off to have to remove proven Italian made parts and replace them with unproven and possibly unsafe US made parts.

Post subject: Benelli Supernova 922r compliance parts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah I found a site dedicated to the conversion of the M4 and there are enough parts available to make it compliant however that doesn’t seem to be the case for the Supernova. I guess there’s just not enough demand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Probably not. However, I did hear a rumor that Remington was going out of business. I'm not sure how true it is, and if it is, what will happen about it, but that might open up the market to other shotguns. Man, I would hate to see the 870 disappear from shelves though, but I doubt it will.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Player 2 wrote:
...I did hear a rumor that Remington was going out of business...

...I would hate to see the 870 disappear from shelves though, but I doubt it will.

The 870 was introduced to the market over 60 years ago and the patent has expired, just like the patent on the 1911 has. As I understand it, any manufacturer can make one and some companies already have. Remington or no Remington, the 870 (though it may be called something else like "maverick") will continue to be produced as long as they make pump shotguns. It is that good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to the Basement, Player 2. Let's return to square one. The Benelli SuperNova is a pump shotgun and is not subject to 922r compliance, which applies only to imported semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

wfb18 wrote:
Welcome to the Basement, Player 2. Let's return to square one. The Benelli SuperNova is a pump shotgun and is not subject to 922r compliance, which applies only to imported semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Good luck, sir.

The way i read it, it does applies to pump shotguns

Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or ANY shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

Nonsporting Firearms
such as handguns which do not meet the sporting purpose criteria on ATF F 5330.5 (Form 4590), any rifle or shotgun with a folding stock or folding bayonet, and shotguns having a fixed magazine with a capacity of more than 5 cartridges and certain military style semiautomatic rifles and shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

Yep,, 922r applies to shotguns, period, any shotgun, it only applies to rifles that are semi-auto, not pumps or lever actions (or turnbolts) there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Thank you for correcting my mistake, gentlemen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Outside of a federal crime lab, how would anyone be able to tell where your parts were made? Certainly not the local police or sheriff's deputies who are probably unaware of the law and not very knowledgeable about any firearms other than their department issued Glocks. Also, as I understand it, NO ONE has ever been prosecuted for having too many imported parts on a shotgun. You are probably more likely to shoot yourself in the foot that to run afoul of this ridiculous law.