It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CZ 28 ga Pump Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yesterday a friend asked me to try out his brand new 28 ga CZ pump shotgun. The gun was beautifully finished with nice highly polished blue and beautiful wood and checkering. It came with a 30" ported barrel which I thought was just a little long for my tastes, and I could do without porting on any shotgun. The gun needed to be broken in because the action was stiff. It took me more effort to cycle it than any other pump gun than I have ever used. It fitted me and shot well until I ran into trouble. Using brand new Federal ammo, twice the extractor failed to remove the hull from the chamber. I had to use a bore rod to punch it out which actually pushed the case head back against the bolt where the extractor once again engaged the rim of the case head. Had to take the barrel off to get the empty out. This happened twice, and I gave up shooting after less than a box of shells. My friend is going to send the gun back to CZ who are here locally to have it looked at. I don't know if the problem is a weak extractor or a rough chamber. Either way they need to figure out the problem.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: New CZ 28 ga Pump Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I understand the allure of a new gun, especially an inexpensive new gun. However, if I was looking for another pump, or a first one on a budget, I wouldn't stray far from what I already have. I'd be looking for a gently used or bargain Ithaca M37. I have a "rescue" 20 gauge that I absolutely love. Les Hovencamp did a bang up job restoring it to as new condition inside and out, inexpensively, and I have only slightly more in it than the price of a CZ 620 or 628 pump.

I see a fair number of Winchester Model 12s on used gun racks these days - that's another choice I could make. Used Remington Wingmaster would also be on my radar. Used quality pumps are a dime a dozen, you just have to look around. I can't count the number of cheap used Ithacas I've handled in pawn shops in the past 5 years.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.