It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garbi 7 pin 103as
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm 
Field Grade

Well I just got a composed pair of Garbi 103a s, 20 and 28 from 1986. Come with makers case and extra pins and springs fitted to each,. The curious thing is that they have seven pin side locks, non hand detachable. I have three others and have had 2 others I sold and they were all 5 pin and most from the same era. These are single trigger.

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Tim Cornish

You can see them on Bob Hunter's site

Post subject: Re: Garbi 7 pin 103as
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I still haven't even figured out how to count the pins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

timcornish wrote:
Well I just got a composed pair of Garbi 103a s, 20 and 28 from 1986. Come with makers case and extra pins and springs fitted to each,. The curious thing is that they have seven pin side locks, non hand detachable. I have three others and have had 2 others I sold and they were all 5 pin and most from the same era. These are single trigger.

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Tim Cornish

You can see them on Bob Hunter's site

The Spanish artisanal shotgun makers began using coil rather that leaf and “V” springs in their H&H type side locks in the 1950s. That was the time at which the shift from seven pin locks to six (or five, or four, or fewer) pin locks began. By the end of the 1970s the only guns with seven pin (and no coil springs) were the high price point guns, and those guns on which the buyer required seven pin locks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:43 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, Kyrie, I suspect that this was a buyer preference. I My dad had a couple made when he visited Spain with my mother in 1982 and I still have one, a model 100 with extra fancy wood and 5 pin locks. Always thought the coil spring safety sear was probably more reliable as well as less costly. But I am well pleased with this pair, visions of doves , quail, teal, grouse etc come fall.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oblio13 wrote:

Here you go, pins are the ends of screws used to hold the lock parts together. Example with pins circled:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Kyrie wrote:
Oblio13 wrote:

Here you go, pins are the ends of screws used to hold the lock parts together. Example with pins circled:

I don't get why the hammer pin is not counted, or the screw that holds the two sideplates together, or the pin at the front of the bar at the mainspring's bend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oblio13 wrote:
I don't get why the hammer pin is not counted, or the screw that holds the two sideplates together, or the pin at the front of the bar at the mainspring's bend.

The word "pin" is used in the way English gun makers user it; we would say "screw". The "pins" (say rather screws) are the ends of the screws that hold the lock parts together and onto the side plate. The hammer pin isn't a screw, and the mainspring pin at the front of the bar, aren't screws and so are not counted. The screw that holds the side plates on isn't involved in the lock work, and so is not counted.

Take another look at the photo I put up. I put up pictures of the inside and outside of the lock plate so you could associate the "pins" visible on the outside of the lock plate with the screws visible on the inside of he lock plate.