It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just curious how many people here use a Trap gun for tra
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Mydpack

You’re wrong here. There’s a reasOn almost all top Trap shooters have guns set up to “float the bird”. Including those who shoot with both eyes open.

I mainly shoot sporting or 5 Stand. And can usually shoot 23-24 in Trap with an occasional 25, using a SC or sometimes a “field gun”. But if I was to compete in Trap, you can bet I’d buy a dedicated Trap gun set up for me so I could float the bird.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Tyner wrote:
What about those angles towards your off eye?

They are even easier to see, Jim.

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
There’s a reasOn almost all top Trap shooters have guns set up to “float the bird”. Including those who shoot with both eyes open.
The key words here are "almost all". It's purely personal preference, how you set your trap gun up. Same with "top Trap shooters".
You can break just as many targets with a flat-shooting gun as you can with a high-shooting gun, if that's what you are accustomed to and prefer.

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
I mainly shoot sporting or 5 Stand. And can usually shoot 23-24 in Trap with an occasional 25, using a SC or sometimes a “field gun”. But if I was to compete in Trap, you can bet I’d buy a dedicated Trap gun set up for me so I could float the bird.
It's your choice, my friend. I have dedicated sporting guns and dedicated trap guns. You can bet I have my trap guns set up the way I like them, not the way some big dog likes his gun set up.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am 
Tournament Grade

For over 4 years I’ve been shooting trap almost exclusively with my Benelli Montefeltro which is a field gun, and not a trap gun. I may do better with a dedicated trap gun, but none that I have tried so far fit me as well as my Montefeltro. I brake between 16 and 21 every round, and once I broke 23. I know that’s not good enough for the majority on this Forum, but I enjoy it every time. To me, that’s what counts.

One day I might buy a trap gun, but I don’t have plans to do so.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve owned several Montefeltros and every single one of them shot high out of the box. That in itself should be great for trap. I had to use the shim that drops the heel of the stock the most to get mine to shoot straight for field use

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

"but I enjoy it every time. To me, that’s what counts. "

This is 100% correct whether you are shooting for fun or buckles.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 am 
Field Grade

shot my first 25 using a mossberg 930. about as far from a trap gun as it gets.