It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Down to - SP1 Sporting vs 725 sporting
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK ... Lost out on a SP1 Left handed last week ...

Went back today they have another Beretta SP1 Sporting left hand - 30" 12ga.

Was about to take it but had to ask - "any other left hand sporting 12ga. opitons ? "

Well , the owner says I might have something downstairs - not on our inventory list

Comes up with a new in box Browning 725 Sporting 32" 12ga. .... he's killing me as I had a 525 sporting 10 yrs ago and loved it !...

here's the deal Beretta $ 2149 / Browning $ 2749 - = 600 difference
So for $600 , ported barrel's, extended chokes [5], left hand palm swell , hi viz tube - not sure what else ??

But here is where the rubber meets the road - I have till Tuesday to decide - store is closed Sunday & Monday .... Money aside the Browning tugs on the heart strings - like finding a long lost friend .
I will say they both felt nice to mount ... not sure how the feel shooting?? Kind of remember the 525 was pretty soft for an O/U ..No idea about the SP1

I'll await the findings of the forum to aid in my selection ... aid , not decide :wink:

Last edited by mfm22 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Down to - SP1 Sporting vs 725 sporting - help !
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:45 pm 
Limited Edition

It's all about fit. If you could smash them with your old 525, the 725 is going to be a hell of a lot closer in fit (or maybe identical) than the 686 will ever be.

I can shoot any 425/525/625/Citori CX/Citori CXS with no stock alterations and crush targets. My 686 needed an adjustable comb added to make it work for me.

Don't worry about the price difference. If you're going to use this gun a lot, you'll burn 10X that price difference in ammo and target fees in a year.

PS, porting is useless except to make soot stains on the side of the barrels and that hi-viz glow worm is best tossed in the trash.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Gun price is a drop in the bucket. For the majority of folks I talk to only one of the B guns fit. For me it is the Browning, I cannot shoot a Beretta.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Just speaking for myself, the Beretta SP-1 just didn't feel right. Shouldered the 725 32 Sporting Rt Hand and the fit and feel was much better. To me the Beretta had a "thinner" feel,and lower profile. Have since acquired a Crossover Target and the 725 Trap..They are both fine shotguns..How they fit and feel to you is what counts. Best of luck on your purchase...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

BOTH are good guns. Go with the one that fits you best, so that when you mount it, you are "pointing it where you are looking"! And every time, too!!

(My target guns are Berettas, as they fit ME the best.) But we are all different. Go for fit!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Not exactly SP1 VS 725.......but a good comparison of Browning VS Beretta, with a lot of info on the SP1. Since you've already shot the 525, perhaps this vid will be a bit clearer regarding your personal experience.
Look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfYVR152SYI

Blaser F3 Super Trap 34" Unsingle
Beretta DT11 30" Skeet
Beretta SP 1 30" Sport
Browning Ultra XS Sport 30"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

You are spending good money for a quality possession which will give you great pleasure. Get exactly what you want!

For me the porting on that first version 725 would be an absolute deal killer unless I got it crazy, ridiculously cheap (then I'd resell or trade it for non-ported), or it was a family heirloom with sentimental value. And even then, I'd always be cognizant of those stupid, useless holes that do nothing but drip bore cleaner all over the place. But hey, that's me. Lots and lots and lots of guys ignore porting and enjoy their guns.

So...I'd get a left handed current version 725 with no porting if you decide you like the Browning better. I would do so even if I had to special order it and wait for it; or search as long as it took to find one, or even have a stock made, bent, or altered to work for you being a southpaw.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't remember any adverse effects with my ported 525 sporting 12ga. ? It may have been more effort to clean barrels but not too bad

I'm not that knowledgeable regarding ballistics etc.. but I do think The Browning co is.
If the porting reduces muzzle flip even a bit , I'll take it . Recoil ? Who knows

The fact is the left hand sporting 725 that is available to me is ported and I don't think it will be a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

You seem to REALLY want the 725; if it fits, then get it or you'll have buyer's remorse.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm 
Limited Edition

mfm22 wrote:
I'm not that knowledgeable regarding ballistics etc.. but I do think The Browning co is.
If the porting reduces muzzle flip even a bit , I'll take it

Perazzi and Beretta have forgotten more about competition shotgun design than Browning ever even knew and they don't port their shotguns.........I'll take that instead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Browning is even coming around to the idea that folks really don't want porting; they're offering more models without it now. It's not a deal breaker to ME, but I would prefer my barrels only to have an opening at each end.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will never buy another gun with ported barrels. I have them on my Cynergy and I hate to even look at them.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I appreciate the feedback and that's why I asked for it . Never thought much about the porting .

It's hard shooting lefty , too few choices as it is . Honestly the SP1 Sporting at $600 less would be great . I will revisit shop Tuesday, when they reopen., and try mounting both again
As I recall the Beretta was a little shorter LOP but that's easy to remedy - recoil pads

I should bring a straw and see how that works for closed eye mount

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I am LH and except for my gas guns with shims, the rest of mine are cast neutral and I do not find it to be a hindrance.

Post subject: Re: Down to - SP1 Sporting vs 725 sporting
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

well after some deliberation, I wound up buying the Beretta SP1 Sporting Left hand stock

just worked out that way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Beretta makes a 1/2" spacer you can put on there between stock and recoil pad. I did that and added the .91 pad, got 15" LOP.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/competi ... mm/c5g248/

Congrats on the new gun!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks , good to know about spacer . I'm going to shoot it a bit and see what needs to be tweaked

I have a graco mercury reducer tube that fit in stock [ browning 525 ] I can see if the bolt hole is wide enough to fit tube .
also used a foam pad on top of stock - cheek pad - will try to get another

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mfm22 wrote:

So for $600 , ported barrel's, extended chokes [5], left hand palm swell , hi viz tube

Ported barrels? - This would not stop me from buying a gun I like, but I would not spend a dollar to get that feature.

Extended chokes - You can buy an awful lot of extended chokes for $600

Left hand palm swell? - For me left handed palm swell is less important than the 'cast on' you get with a Beretta left handed stock. Browning stocks are supposed to be cast neutral, but wood can move so you can find some slight cast on a sock.

Hi-Viz sites - I think this is a detracting feature. If a gun came with this I would remove it, or remove and replace it with a standard bead.

So in short, I am not sure I would say you are gaining much for the $600 price increase.

Having said all of this, I would try them both and buy the one that fits you better. As others have mentioned, in the long run the $600 is a drop in the shooting budget, and you will be better of having a gun that fits you.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am 
Utility Grade

As others have already elaborated you definitely need to buy what feels the best to you. If you aren't confident in your decision regarding the gun- that lack of confidence will likely show up in your shooting. I own a 525 (very similar to 725) and several 686 Onxy Pro Sportings (basically an SP1 sporting with nicer wood) in various gauges. For me personally- I always gravitate to the Berettas. They feel better to me and I have more confidence in them. They fit me very well with no adjustments. I can break birds with the Browning- but I always reach for the Berettas. But that's just me. As for porting... I don't own a single shotgun with it. It's great on my .338 Lapua Mag, but I don't personally think it has any place on a shotgun. I dunno if it would be a deal-breaker but I would avoid it if I could.