It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st time shooting advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 pm 
Utility Grade

My wife and I are going to give shotgunning a try.
The Nashville Gun Club is close and we are going to go there as soon as the weather decides to cooperate. Anyone have any advice for two complete newbs that will make our first trip more enjoyable? What should we shoot? Skeet, trap, 5 stand?
We both had Remington 1100's. Hers is a 20ga with a fixed IC choke, 26" barrel. Mine is a 12ga with screw in chokes and a 28" barrel. We are both in our mid 40's.
I am sure neither of those are ideal, but it is what we have.

Post subject: Re: 1st time shooting advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I know this is a radical, almost heretical, concept for most American men but here it goes anyway: book some lessons first. THEN, put this question to your instructor.

NGC even has a Pro/Instructor on staff: http://www.nashvillegunclub.com/instruction.html

And before you go, read this: http://www.nashvillegunclub.com/safety-rules.html

PS, the guns you and your wife have will do just fine for casual skeet, sporting clays, and even 16 yd trap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Safety first and foremost; know how your guns operate and how to safely clear a jam if necessary. I agree with a lesson of 3

Here's an oldie, but a goodie:
http://damascusiwla.org/Remington_Trap_ ... s_2004.pdf

http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_S ... s_2004.pdf

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

JUST PUT THE SHOT WHERE THE TARGET IS GOING TO BE WHEN THE SHOT GETS THERE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 pm 
Limited Edition

claytbuster wrote:
JUST PUT THE SHOT WHERE THE TARGET IS GOING TO BE WHEN THE SHOT GETS THERE.

That was helpful

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't know how that club operates it's skeet fields, but where I shoot it's controlled by the shooters, there is not someone pulling (launching the clay by pushing a button ) the clays for me. If shooting with 2 or more people, we can pull for each other. If I'm by myself, I can turn on the 4 second delay and it works pretty well.

Point being, if you can get a skeet field for just you and your wife, you don't have to shoot regulation skeet - just get out there and practice some of the easier shots, then try the harder ones. That way you can shoot at your leisure and try different things at your own pace.

You might start out on skeet station 7 and shoot the low house, then try the high house. Once you get that down, move to station 1 and try from there. Plan to shoot several boxes of shells each, and I would recommend #8 or #9 shot in the lightest load and velocity your gun will cycle. For your 1100 12ga, shoot 1 oz of #8 shot at 1200 fps, or slightly faster. Estate makes a 1 oz load that's 1235 fps, only $5.50 at Academy Sports. 1 oz at 1290 works well, too. No need to take the recoil of a 1-1/8th oz load at 1250 fps. The 20 ga should cycle a standard 7/8ths oz load of #8 at 1200 fps just fine.

Get a belt mounted shell pouch for each of you, and use ear foam for hearing protection. Regular sunglasses will work for eye protection but some cheap shooting glasses may help. I like glasses that don't obstruct any view.

Practice mounting the gun. Close your eyes and mount the gun - it should come up to where you're looking straight down the flat rib. If not, you may need stock adjustments. Length of pull (distance from trigger to center of recoil pad) as well as drop can be adjusted. Take a few lessons, it's well worth it - old bad shooting habits are hard to break later on. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:05 am 
Limited Edition

spawndn72 wrote:
......... two complete newbs............our first trip...........

This is what makes me a little nervous and leery of saying "go get a skeet field and have fun".

How much of a complete noob are you guys? Newb as in you've shot a few times down home on the farm but never shot at a gun club or newb as in you have zero shooting experience and just bought your first guns?

There's nothing wrong with being new/inexperienced, but there's very much wrong with not admitting it and getting in over your head.

To be completely honest, almost every self taught shooter out there (regardless of experience level) could benefit from some lessons/coaching from someone who really knows how to both shoot and teach. I've paid for lessons and benefitted tremendously, as getting better at this sport has made me enjoy it even more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1st , as JER says it's OK to ask Q's.

2d eye and ears protected and actions open. If shooting skeet , wear a hat , too. Never load more than 2 shells. Never sweep anyone w/ the muzzle of your gun. This will save you lots of embarrassment.Don't go it the clubhouse w/ a gun, and keep your guns in the racks provided when not in use.

Your guns are fine. Getting some help will be well worth the money.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Best advice is to get a lesson as part of starting. A proper instructor will:
A> Make sure you're safe.
B> Make sure you have fun.
C> Provide you with some measure of success that ensures you come back.

If you were 3 hours east, I'd make sure that all 3 were accomplished. Start with the ammo Dallas recommended (or maybe even lighter).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 pm 
Limited Edition

The Brits know how to start new shotgunners way better than we ever will

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 am 
Field Grade

Lessons -- it was very valuable for me as I just started too and I wouldn't have known where to start. My instructor was awesome, took the time to answer all my questions about mounting and then took me to see the different presentations and general strategy to tackle them. Then we shot until my arm couldn't hold the gun anymore. Such a great experience! If I didn't take the lessons I would have been lost.

Most of all -- have fun! That smile is hard to wipe off once you get it going.

-Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 am 
Utility Grade

NGC is a great place to learn the shotgun sports. Terry, the instructor, is fantastic with new shooters; you would be well served to get a few lessons with him. After you have spent some time on the skeet field, the small gauge sporting clays course would be good to check out. It’s an easy walk and the targets are set to increase your odds of success. Lots of helpful folks at NGC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 am 
Limited Edition

Chubakka wrote:
Lessons -- it was very valuable for me as I just started too and I wouldn't have known where to start. My instructor was awesome, took the time to answer all my questions about mounting and then took me to see the different presentations and general strategy to tackle them. Then we shot until my arm couldn't hold the gun anymore. Such a great experience! If I didn't take the lessons I would have been lost.

Most of all -- have fun! That smile is hard to wipe off once you get it going.

-Chu
Awesome! That's how it should be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Safety first and foremost; know how your guns operate and how to safely clear a jam if necessary. I agree with a lesson of 3

Wow. I haven't seen those in a while.
Good stuff. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:38 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks everyone.
I am looking into lesson at the Nashville Gun Club.
I will let you know how it goes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Wow. I haven't seen those in a while.
Good stuff. :D

But for newbies, they provide some vary good basic instructions on foot positions, etc.

Remington doesn't even print them anymore; and they are hard to find online, even on their website.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 am 
Limited Edition

spawndn72 wrote:
I am looking into lesson at the Nashville Gun Club.
It really is the best way to go about it

spawndn72 wrote:
I will let you know how it goes
Please do, and I hope you both enjoy yourselves.