It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1st time shooting advice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Agree with the advice. Terry is a good instructor who focuses first on skeet but also SCa. He will also give you a tour if the facility as he helps you. I travel to Nashville and enjoy the club. They a an executive sporting clays course that is a good starting place after revisiting fundamentals on the skeet field

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

For a true beginner, someone that has never shot a gun before, skeet can be a little intimidating and difficult. I would much rather start someone out on a five stand or station with a lazy, straight incomer with a lot of belly, and a slow straightaway where they can get behind and see the bird off of the trap. Either of these are pretty easy to hit and they can also give an instructor an indication on whether a shooter is dealing with eye dominance issues. He’s likely checked that already but it doesn’t affect everyone the same way. After they are confident with these two shots, move to one side or the other a few feet then a little farther out as confidence grows. Then they might be ready for the skeet field. If they have shot before, the skeet field is an option. They advice I always give new shooters is to use the lowest recoil load the gun will tolerate. Nobody enjoys getting beat up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I used to start the new shooters on station 7. A straight away and an incomer. Gives me a chance to see how they hold their gun and respect gun safety fundamentals. Once they break that first target they are hooked. Then we move around the stations backwards and explain the leads and shoot all incomers. And we progress from there. I never let them shoot a round of skeet until they have a working knowledge of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Recently was invited to a corporate event and was asked to help first time shooters there. All they had were skeet fields. Most of the folks I was able to get on a target quickly and they were happy. There was one guy there that just couldn’t make contact no matter what we tried. It was obvious he could not deal with the speed and he was opposite dominant. We tried left and right handed since he had never shot. A dot. It didn’t matter. I’ve started a lot of folks like that. And a lot of kids that could barely hold my cut off 410 up. I’ve even had to put clays on the ground for some. For those types, the five stand and slow targets work a whole lot better to start with.