It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is anyone familiar with the firm "Waffen-Bock" in Frankfurt?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I apologise as this post it a bit off the subject of German Shotguns but please bear with me. Attached are some photos of my beautifully engraved Belgian Browning Superposed 20 ga. with 26 1/2" bbls. built in 1952 (four digit serial # 39XX). The gun is marked "Waffen Bock, Frankfurt Germany" behind the trigger. The engraving is stunning. Please note the detail and shadowing on the Geese and the Rabbits and check out the Fox where you can make out each individual rib!!. I've owned the gun for nearly 30 years and would love to know who did the engraving. Clearly a very talented and skilled craftsman.
I found the Waffen-Bock website (http://www.waffen-bock.de/) and they have been in business since 1897 and family owned. I sent them several emails with photos (in English and Google translated German) asking if they had any records of this Browning, when and who engraved it, etc. but have never received any replies.
If anyone here on the SGW has any friends in Frankfurt or who would be willing to contact Waffen-Bock on my behalf (I don't speak German) and forward this post and photos, I would be happy to cover any phone/fax/internet expenses and throw in a couple of Cape Cod lobsters !!
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide....
Saltydog055

Post subject: Re: Is anyone familiar with the firm "Waffen-Bock" in Frankf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

That sir, is an amazing looking gun! The engraving reminds me somewhat of Merkel or Germanic style, but by an artist has his own skill, technique, and creativity. A unique, true artist he is/was.

One could struggle to find the right words to describe this one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

The wood ain’t too shabby either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the compliments. It is a beautiful example of the gun makers art. I beleive the gun started its life in 1952 as a Grade 1 Superposed and was engraved for prehaps a GI stationed in post war Germany. It was stocked with nice but fairly plain French Walnut but I recently had the gun restocked by Macon Gunstocks in Warsaw MO (http://www.macongunstocks.com) in some Exhibition Turkish Walnut worthy of the engraving and am very happy with the results.
Am anxious to learn more about the history of the gun and who engraved it, so I hope someone here on SGW can help...
Saltydog055

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mystery solved !! With the help of C. Roger Bleile from the Engravers Cafe BB, I was able to contact Hendrik Frühauf, a top engraver in Germany http://gravuren-fruehauf.de/ who knew immediatly that the engraver of my Browning was Albert Reich (please see below)

"Dear Sir,
thank you for your message.
My congratulation ! ... its a really great gun!
tThe engraving its fromthe Graveurmeister Albert Reich.
A. Reich learn to engrave in the merkel factory, his master was Paul Greifzu.
he work in the traditional merkel engraving style like his master.
Albert Reich was in the 1960 this in the western part of germany and work for Kurt Jaeger, Waffen Bock, Waffen Reich -Darmstadt( his brother) and for Krieghoff...
hwe was one of the beste engravers in this time..
all the best
Hendrik"

Finally the 30 year old msytery is solved !! Still sure would like to find out who the gun was engraved for...???

Saltydog055