It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stippled my Shockwave stock.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought a Remington Tac-14 with a Shockwave birds head stock a while back. It is actually much more user friendly than I though but if I pumped off multiple shots too fast it tended to slide back in my hand to the point that the trigger guard slammed into my middle finger. Last night I fixed this problem. I borrowed my wife's wood burning tool and stippled the parts of the grip that actually contact the hand. I used a round nosed tip about the diameter of a BB and burned a pattern of craters similar to a honeycomb only not quite as uniform. That is good enough for me as this is a working tool not a piece of art. I went out back and shot it a while ago and this stippling job made a world of difference. Sort of like doing bicep curls with a barbell with deep cut knurling vs. one that is smooth and slick. I have seen a lot of Glocks with this type of grip modification and it works on other plastic gripped firearms.

Post subject: Re: Stippled my Shockwave stock.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Skateboard tape works well also.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Same concept as skateboard tape, just permanent.

I like the results so well that I am contemplating stippling my Springfield XD as well as several knives and other tools like machetes and a synthetic handled axe that is a little too slippery for my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd like to see a pic of your work.

Any thoughts on a brace?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am 
Field Grade

I like GT-5000 grip tape, bought it on Amazon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Grip tape, stippling or whatever, you want to grip the thing as far back as you comfortably can using only the tip of your finger to pull the trigger. This gives you plenty of room between the trigger guard and your second finger. Most of the recoil mitigation is preformed by a strong grip of your front hand and a stiff left tricep.