It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Belgian Guild Gun" ID Request (French?)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

New member and first post, excited to join. I recently picked up a so called "Belgian guild gun" over/under 12g, but after taking it apart I now realize most of the parts are from France.

I'm interested in learning anything I can about this recent purchase. I'm not interested in determining/justifying it's value as much as I am uncocovering it's history. I paid what i feel is a fair price.

I've done as much research as I can crawling this and other forums. This is what I know:

Marked RPF on receiver for what I think is "Rivolier Pere et Fils" or "Rivolier Pere & Sons"

PT with crown on breach

CMR with (RPF) under the bottom barrel

"Portee Gapantie P. Delalle"

Top and bottom barrel marked with the same St. Etienne proof and 18.4 65 (65mm) and there is a number of 5556? Also, more RPD and PT crown marks

Any additional insight or info regarding this shotgun's history would be much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: "Belgian Guild Gun" ID Request (French?)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't see any direct Belgian connection unless there are some Belgian proofmarks I don't see. I believe it should read Choke Rectifié Portée Garantie(Modified Choke Range Guaranteed or Portée Garantie(Range Guaranteed), Choke Rectifié P. Delalle(choked honed by mechanic P. Delalle) or Portée Garantie P. Delalle(range guaranteed by mechanic P. Delalle) with all be just advertising.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Also you are correct on the RPF - Marque Déposée noting RPF being a protected trademark of Rivolier Pere et Fils, which has been around for say 200 years and is still in business I believe. They made bicycles, guns, etc. You might drop them an inquiry & see if they respond and have something to add.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the response. I'm inclined to agree that this is actually a french guild gun and the seller was just uninformed when he stated it was belgian.

You are correct, that mark reads "Portée Garantie P. Delalle"- interesting to uncover what that means, thanks!

Anyone have an idea on a rough manufacture date/decade? I'm having a hard time finding specific information on anything that looks like this particular shotgun or other over/under guild guns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

1st, I'd ask Rivolier Pere et Fils. Next, the French wares brain trust can be found @ doublegunshop.com.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:59 am 
Utility Grade

Sounds like a plan. I just reached out to Dave at doublegunshop.com about getting registered on that forum.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Come on over to the Dark Side & see what info French Commando Argo44 might ferret out of the dredges of the internet.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Come on over to the Dark Side & see what info French Commando Argo44 might ferret out of the dredges of the internet.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am 
Utility Grade

Mystery solved!

The contact at Rivolier found a 1933 catalog with the exact shotgun in it.

(more info is over on the doublegunshop.com forum http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... Post511812)