It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Stoeger that I wish they would offer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:08 am 
Utility Grade

I have had two Stoeger Coach guns. The first one was just the standard side by side no frills which I liked very much. I had to sell it for cash (down year). So now that I was able to buy another one I bought the stainless steel receiver and blued barrel version.

I wish they would offer it in a shorter length of pull. I am of smaller stature and always have to cut the stock down. I also wish that they would offer it without the high polished stock. So I ended up cutting my stock putting a new recoil pad on her and refinishing the stock. Makes her look a little older, which I like. Better pictures to come.

Post subject: Re: The Stoeger that I wish they would offer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:26 am 
Limited Edition

Looks good. Down years suck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks. Yes they sure do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Finally some better pictures

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nice gun. Good job on the cutting and putting the pad on.

What do you use it for ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

McFarmer wrote:

What do you use it for ?

I was gonna post that exact question.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:52 am 
Utility Grade

I don't hunt, so really it is just a range fun gun and or a home defense weapon. That or my 870 Police.
I really like it with the 12" pull it now has. I also will have another (both) IC chokes in it tomorrow. It will be nice not having to watch which side you put the slugs in. I have a reduced power latch spring coming for it also with new Stainless firing pins also.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 am 
Presentation Grade

You do that work yourself also ? Is Stoeger made by Huglu ? My Huglu had firing pin problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I am not sure of who makes the Stoeger, but they do have soft firing pins that tend to mushroom and bend a little. I will replace mine with some I ordered from a different company that are stainless steel. I did do all the work myself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 am 
Utility Grade

I just received the last of the parts for my Stagecoach and put them in. I ordered the reduced Tension Lever Spring, Pair of Stainless Steel Firing Pins and the IC Choke. They all work well but the Reduced Tension Lever Spring awesome. Very happy with everything done on this Stagecoach and the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:22 am 
Limited Edition

jstanfield103 wrote:
I just received the last of the parts for my Stagecoach and put them in. I ordered the reduced Tension Lever Spring, Pair of Stainless Steel Firing Pins and the IC Choke. They all work well but the Reduced Tension Lever Spring awesome. Very happy with everything done on this Stagecoach and the gun.

Nice job doing all that yourself - glad you were able to find the parts to upgrade a good looking double {hs# :B3

I have had nothing but good luck with Stoeger's double trigger Coach Guns, but I can certainly understand wanting to upgrade parts...

The Stoeger Coach Gun, Condor, Uplander, and Grand are built in Brazil by E.R. Amantino and have been for many years; Amantino also offers a lot of neat model variants that aren't imported here...
I have found the fit and finish on newer Brazilian guns to be inferior to what was seen a decade or more ago, but Stoeger does stand behind them with a five year warranty...

The pump and autoloading shotguns under the Stoeger label are made in Turkey; I owned a P-350 pump for a while and it wasn't a bad gun by any means, but a bit awkward for my 5'5" frame that shoots long guns left-handed. The new P-3000 pump is lighter and handier, but doesn't chamber 3.5" shells, though the equally new P-3500 does.

Smoothbore slugs are usually safe for use in chokes up to Full, unless the slug, gun or choke manufacturer states otherwise.

Taurus/Rossi states not to shoot slugs in their single shots due to "the Modified Choke." I find this dubious at best, and believe the real reason is the light, thin, and overly-soft steel they use in their barrels... :roll:
Legacy Sports International says the same for their Modified-choked single shots, but these too have light, thin-steel barrels...

Stoeger touts their Condor Outback O/U as a 'utility gun' able to fire many types of ammo, including slugs. It comes with two screw-in chokes, IC and Modified, so your Coach Gun should be fine with those constrictions as well I would think...

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

Last edited by NH Squirrelhunter on Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

SH,
Thanks for all the explanations. Very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm 
Limited Edition

jstanfield103 wrote:
SH,
Thanks for all the explanations. Very much appreciated.

I'm certainly no expert, but you are most welcome :mrgreen: {hs# :B3

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~