It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How important are gas vents?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

I notice that most boxlocks and even some high-end sidelocks don't have them. Most shotguns from other countries don't have them.

Are they unnecessary vestiges from the days of poor primers?

Post subject: Re: How important are gas vents?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:35 pm 
Field Grade

Earlier Victor Sarasquetas in some better grades don't have them, I have a 7e from 1959 that does not nor does it have bushed pins but it is a far better finished gun than a 7e I sold at Tulsa form 1977 that has all of that. Every Spanish guns I have ever seen has some sort of gas relief whether it be channels from the firing pin hole to the edge of the frame or vents.

The good guns I have (sidelocks) that don't have bushed pins all have little screws that hold the pin in from the rear and to replace a pin instead of making a special spanner for the bushing all you have to do is take off the locks. The pin is slightly harder to make because you have to file in a notch for the screw. All of five or ten minutes.
If a gun has no vents it may or may not be a lesser gun. I have had a number of AyAs (and others) in lower grades from the 50s that do not and they are cheap guns, drop in lump barrels, extractors and, when you take off the locks they are not interrupting sears.But you see folks asking way more than the $300 they are worth because they are AyAs. I like em for dragging trough the mud and they are perfectly serviceable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:46 pm 
Field Grade

PS - when you remove the bushing to get at the pins you MUST remove the vent plugs first as they intrude into the side of the bushing!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:14 am 
Tournament Grade

timcornish wrote:
... Every Spanish guns I have ever seen has some sort of gas relief whether it be channels from the firing pin hole to the edge of the frame or vents....

I have both a Laurona boxlock and an Ugarteburu sidelock with neither. They seem to be well-made guns nonetheless. Both have bushed strikers.

Last edited by Oblio13 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.