It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tristar G2 28 ga ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm in the market for a 28 ga, the Weatherby sa-08's have dried up and I'm not so convinced about the Mossberg. I read all the reviews I could find about the G 2 and am wondering has anyone any information good or bad about owning one? They look pretty Good. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Tristar G2 28 ga ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can't comment on 28 gauge G2 but if it is like the 20 gauge version it is a VERY reliable gun. My G2 20 gauge has had 2 FTF when it was 10 degrees in AR. I took it in that night and wiped off more of the lube (CLP) and it never missed another beat. That is all in over 2,000 rounds of use. Has handled good, and some really poor reloads as well as all commercial ammo equally, i.e. no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

The tristar is the same gun as the weatherby. A few years ago I was able to compare the two as a shop had both. There see some minor differences, i.e. How the forearm attaches, but the action is the same. Also cost is less for the tristar.
I only have a few boxes through mine, but it has worked fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 am 
Presentation Grade

.45colt wrote:
I'm in the market for a 28 ga, the Weatherby sa-08's have dried up and I'm not so convinced about the Mossberg. I read all the reviews I could find about the G 2 and am wondering has anyone any information good or bad about owning one? They look pretty Good. Thanks in advance.

According to Randy Wakeman, the Weatherby 28ga was made by the same manufacturer as the Mossberg 28ga.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the interest Guys. I've been waiting for Randy Wakeman to review the Mossberg 28 ga. He said last week He picked one up. The Weatherby sa-08 is different from the others (piston for light or heavy loads) enough to make Me wonder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Generally reliable. I had an issue with my Bronze 20 gage but not enough to dissuade me from getting another. Still like and use mine mainly for pheasants. Nice weight.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=436542

Pretty sure Mossberg and Tristar both made by Armsan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

.45colt wrote:
Thanks for the interest Guys. I've been waiting for Randy Wakeman to review the Mossberg 28 ga. He said last week He picked one up. The Weatherby sa-08 is different from the others (piston for light or heavy loads) enough to make Me wonder.

I already have reviewed it. It is generally excellent, with one caveat . . . an extremely heavy trigger that I'll have taken care of by Precision Sports.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Yep, I saw your excellent review on the 20ga Randy. I didn't know if the 28ga was any different.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am 
Tournament Grade

The review that Mr. Wakeman did for the Mossberg SA-28 is on the front page of his website. Seems that the SA-20 and SA-28 are both nice guns and good values, that need trigger jobs to be even better. I have owned an SA-20 for about 18 months now, and though I've never checked the exact weight of my trigger pull, it does not seem excessive to me. It shoots any shell I have fed it, and points very natural for me. I really enjoy shooting this gun

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Joe, haven't looked at His page for awhile but will now. :oops: . :) .

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:49 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com