CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A small gripe with Recob's Target Shop
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:31 am 

Here's the deal.

Recob comes to the NorthBrook Gun Club which is about 15 miles away on the second Saturday of every month so I usually make the trip and buy a significant amount of supplies.

On March 12th I went there and picked up a case of RXP20 Wads, 8lbs of International powder, a case of STS Primers and about 5 bags of STS shot. Total was close to $300. I paid with a Credit Card, which they accepted and I was on my way. Never really checked the receipt but it seemed to all add up.

I went this weekend, April 9th, and bought a case of Fig-8 Wads, and 10 bags of STS shot. A little over $220 and went to pay with a credit card again. I was then told I was being charged an additional 4% because I was using a Credit Card.

Now, my gripe is, why was I charged the 4% the second time but not the first?

Also, of the close to $500 I spent with them the last two months, if I was charged 4%, I'm losing $20 in savings.

That being said, I've heard of a place called Darien Sporting Goods that is a little bit farther from me but that I'm willing to give a try now and see what happens. I just thought it was petty to be charged 4% on what I feel is a significant amount of supplies that I purchase.

Post subject: Re: A small gripe with Recob's Target Shop
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've purchased signifcant amounts of stuff over the counter from Recob's store, sometimes paying cash and sometimes by credit card. I've never been charged a fee for using the card.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:46 am 

That's what I thought.

I figured 90% of their business done over the phone or through the web was via credit card and I don't see how they would be charging every customer 4% on their purchases.

I'm going to check the receipt again when I get home and call them and see what they say.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lots an lots of places are starting to charge from 3-4 % extra if you use a credit card. Just a way to get extra money out of their customers. It stinks, big time, but what you gonna do, besides paying with cash or check.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:47 am 
Limited Edition

They get charged a % of the sale for using the credit card, so they are passing that cost on to the customer. Most places just build the cost into the overall price, but in order to keep list prices low, I suspect that they are charging the extra to the individual. I too pick up my supplies while they're at Northbrook Sports Club, and even with a 4% premium, they're the cheapest game in town. If you find a better price on components than what Recob's charges, please let me know.

The only place I've found better prices is at GAT Guns in Dundee. They have better prices on lead shot than Recobs, but only by a few cents. When gasoline is factored in, Recobs is still the best deal by far. Everything else (reloading components) is more expensive at GAT.

Good luck...

HB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I think 3% is what the card company charges the retailer to use them----it's been common for some time for some businesses to pass on the costs of using a card, though they usually have a sign posted somewhere stating the fact..

Some places will still eat the 3%, but they most likely make it up somewheres else. Personally, as long as they post a sign stating the charge I don't have a problem with it.

Do you call ahead and have him bring specifically what you want, or do you just pick out what you want from his trailer?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 am 
Presentation Grade

The card service charges the seller a fee, perhaps a 4% fee. If the seller is aggresive in pricing their merchandise they may not price in payment of a charge card fee. This allows the cash customer to take full benefit of their pricing and allows the charge card using customer access to aggresive pricing but charges him the fee for using his card. Nothing wrong with that. Sure, it would be better if the seller was consistent in their practices. Bottom line is use of cards have a cost to the seller and someone has to bear it.

It's great that there are discount sellers out there allowing us to shoot more for less money. The best sellers offer the most attractive pricing and allow buyers to make a choice of cash or credit card terms on a consistent basis.

NSSA Member #167754

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 am 

HotBarrel wrote:
If you find a better price on components than what Recob's charges, please let me know.

Recob's is definitely a good price. The only place that I have found as being cheaper or equal is:
Darien Sporting Goods
Hy 14
Darien, WI 53114
(262) 724-343

Their lead is $1.00/per bag cheaper for STS Magnum shot and their powders/primers/wads all seem to match what Recob sells.

Only problem is, it's a bit farther so factor in the gas issue and it's probably a wash.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:52 am 
Limited Edition

Yep, the gas to Darien would offset the extra savings. Almost a 160 mile round trip from my house. You're right that Recobs has a mom-and-pop feel to it and they probably missed the boat by not notifying people of the extra charge, but with that said, the extra charge doesn't seem too terribly unfair to me. I wrote a $1,000 check to them last Saturday just to avoid the 4% fee (would rather have had the Bass Pro rewards points, but that wouldn't have covered the 4% fee :( ). Lots and lots of lead before the price goes up any further. I've seen lead prices generally over $20/bag in the area (some as high as $23), so loading up thru Recobs now seems the right thing to do.

Do you shoot at Northbrook? Perhaps we've been on the field together?

HB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

If they take credit cards they are not allowed by LAW to charge an additional fee! They must be treated as cash. Be sure to remind them when they try to charge the extra. Look on the door of the gun shop if they post they take CC they can't charge more. This came about when Exxon used to post their gas with two prices cash or credit, can't do it any more. tmbrdl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:28 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

tmbrdl;

Well, If that's the case, there are a lot of businesses breaking the law. Many cut rate or discount reloading supplies places will charge you the fee for using a credit card. Sometimes the credit card fee is about what they are getting as a margin for handling the stuff. Might be that the folks at Recob's just got tired of eating it and decided no more than they are making selling the stuff at the low price, if you want credit cards, you are going to have to pay for it. I know that's how it is where I buy shot. If I buy 5 or more bags and pay cash or check it is one price, if you use a card it is another price. I don't blame them! In this neck of the woods it is not at all uncommon to have to pay extra for the card fee on sale items or volume discount items. Against the law to charge extra for credit card sales?? I'm not in any position to speak from authority, but I kind of doubt if that is so. Might be something to do with the gas business, I don't know, but I will find out, I have a very good friend who is in the gas business and just the other day was whining about the fee for debit cards and commercial credit card sales charges vs. the card useage by the brand name oil co. cards. He is a Sinlcair dealer and they have thier own Sinclair cards. He was considering charging extra for using a Visa, Discovery or Master Charge card. I'll ask him in the morning! Welcome to the Free Economy!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

tmbrdl wrote:
If they take credit cards they are not allowed by LAW to charge an additional fee!

On the subject of legality...

Can the merchant charge credit card users more than cash customers for the same item?

In a word, maybe. In a few more words-- probably, if the merchant goes about it the right way.
The Federal Truth-in-Lending Act prohibited surcharges on credit card purchases until 1984; since then, there has been no Federal law on that subject. (Other provisions of the law are still in force.) The states of CA, CO, CT, FL, KS, MA, ME, NY, OK, and TX have laws against surcharges, according to Bankcard Holders of America.

Discover allows surcharges on credit card purchases, except in the above states. Visa and MasterCard prohibit them. American Express discourages them in general, and specifically prohibits them by merchants that also take MasterCard or Visa because Amex doesn't allow merchants to discriminate against it.

There is a loophole: merchants are allowed to give cash discounts. This means in practice that they can't charge you more than the labeled price if you pay by credit card, but they can charge you less if you pay cash. Some companies announce (usually in tiny print in the catalog) that all prices "reflect cash discount" of x% so credit card users must pay x% more than the stated price. This may be legal but it certainly violates the spirit of the law or the regulations. I don't know about the "service fee" charged credit card users for things like ordering tickets over the phone, but they're certainly not allowed to charge you a higher price in person than if you pay cash.

There is another loophole according to Bankcard Holders of America (BHA). Certain government agencies are not allowed (by law) to pay "discount fees" which are the processing fees the bank charges merchants for handling credit card slips. Since the banks won't handle these for free, you may well have to pay a surcharge for the privilege if your state lets you pay license fees by credit card. However, BHA says that there are no exceptions for retail merchants.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/cards/crcd_buy.shtml

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

shooting star is right, at the small shop i used to work at(ok ill admit it, was comic/card tradding store:oops: :oops:) we would advertise prices, with a little * by them, and at the bottom it would say cash price, all other sales 3.5%+. so checks/credit were the standard, and cash gave the discount, boy did alot of people argue on this.

but if you think about it, its not really fair to charge the people using cash the extra 3%, to pay for the other people ot use a cc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm in the retail business and yes we are charged by the credit card companies 2.5 to 3.5 % of the total sale(which includes the sales tax). In times past we could eat these ocasional fees because our margin of profit was more and the # of cards used was low but now our profit margin has reduced and the # of cards used has greatly increased and these include checking account debit cards. There is a fee on them also. Because of the increase in cards used(% wise) against cash and the smaller profit margin, the charge by credit card co. to the merchant will be passed on to the consumer. A business cannot absorb these cost and cut their profit margin, stay competively priced and expect to stay in business for long. As far as I know the only merchant that has been able to eliminate the charges by cc companies is Wal-mart. A couple of years ago they threatened to stop accepting m/c, visa, etc. if they didn't cut out the charges, which the cc companies did because they stood to loose to much business. The reason they were able to get by with that is because of their size which the rest of us can't compete so the charges stand. Hope this explanation helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:56 pm 

HotBarrel - I shoot at McHenry and Bristol primarily. I would love to shoot at Northbrook but don't really know anyone that is a member and don't have the $$$$ to join. :(

I agree and don't agree on the point of sales making the customer pay the 3 - 4%. It may seem unfair, but it's more of a guaranteed payment. How much does a shop lose in bounced checks I wonder? At least with a credit card, the funds are immediate. Cash is still king though, that I have to admit. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:05 pm 
Limited Edition

SSZ, maybe I'll see you up at Bristol sometime this summer. I have done my rifle shooting there for the past 5 or 6 years but have not yet used the shotgun fields. My son and I are planning on making the trip up there sometime later this spring to do some shotgunning.

Good shooting!

HB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Recobs has always waived the fee when a bunch of us have made a LARGE purchase at Waukesha Gun Club during the state shoot.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just a side comment. I have always had great service from Recob.

-Chip-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Couple of other things come to mind.

Recob may have a change of policy and are now doing the "cash discount thing".

If different clerks processed the orders, one may know Recob's policy and the other may not.

If you purchase more than $250 Recob may give you the "cash discount".

Next time before you purchase ask what the exact policy is.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:12 am 

I e-mailed them for clarification so I will keep everyone posted.