It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spanish Side by Side year and value?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a 12ga SxS and was just wondering what information anyone could give me about it, I know it’s made in Spain, 12ga with 3” chambers, assuming L.I.G. Elgoibar are the gunsmiths who made it but what do the other stamps mean, what year was it made (guessing 1816 but sounds waaaaaaay too early) and what would it’s approximate worth be? Both barrels are clean inside and out no rust but the stainless where the engravings are is starting to rust a tad, haven’t dismantled the hammer box (and I don’t really want to in case I break something or finish with extra parts), no wood is cracked but the finish is wearing

Post subject: Re: Spanish Side by Side year and value?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:21 am 
Utility Grade

I’m not sure if the photos worked, if someone posts their email I can send the pictures

Post subject: Re: Spanish Side by Side year and value?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 am 
Crown Grade

No, the photos don't show. Is the gun a boxlock or sidelock? Does an importer's name and city appear on the barrels?

Go to the SGW Spanish Gun forum. Under topics, click on Proof Marks/Date Codes, maker's mark, etc.. That info will help you determine when your gun was made/submitted for Proof and who made it. Be aware that the name on the rib is not always the maker. It could be the name of the seller. A maker's mark code will be stamped on the watertable.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi