It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: removing bore fouling from Remington Special Field
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I got a barrel lately that had quite a bit of fouling out toward the choke tube, more than any I have ever had. I can believe that it had never been cleaned. It is a Remington Special field mentioned in another post.

I have worked a few minutes at a time for several days to remove it.

I use paper towels, cut cloth patches and a brass brush.

I use Hoppes, Dexron ATF, Ballistol, WD 40, straight mineral spirits and Ed's Red.

It is coming out slowly. Ed's Red seems loosen up the most fouling, but not a lot. I brass brush it and then push tight patches. However it is not smooth mirror finish like most old bores I have.

I will keep trying. I do not plan to use a drill to spin a brush in it.

Thanks

Last edited by HawkEyeEarl on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: removing bore fouling from Remington Special Field
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 pm 
Field Grade

When my kids started shooting trap in school, their bores and especially their choke tubes would get fouled up with plastic from the wads. I had a hard time getting it out until I tried Shooter’s Choice “Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner” and I couldn’t believe how well it worked. Spray a bunch in, leave it for a while, and push through a brush. Long gooey strands of plastic come out on the first pass.

https://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Choice- ... B0000C529Y

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 am 
Utility Grade

HenryVac, I will try that product. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:21 am 
Crown Grade

Brake cleaner and use the brush on a drill rod and you're done in about 15 seconds

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shooter Choice cleaner works like a charm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kroil works really well for removing plastic fouling in choke tubes. Slip 2000 is supposed to work well also.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I will let yall know, when I try the Shooters choice and Kroil, how they work with this fouling.

When I use Ed's Red and push brush back and forth, I see some stuff sort of hanging loose.
But after pushing patches through, there is still the fouling left. Over time there is less but with my current tools it will take a long time to get to mirror finish.

I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:13 am 
Utility Grade

I was at hardware store yesterday and noticed carburetor cleaner which I have seen recommended. I bought it and tried it.

I seems to work about like Ed's Red. The both have Acetone.
The carb cleaner also has toluene and carbon dioxide.

It does make progress in loosening the fouling some so that I wipe with a patch and get it dirty with fouling for the 1st pass and some with a second pass with a patch.

But the bore is still the dirtiest that I have. I have spent more cleaning time with it than on any shot gun by far.

I also tried brake cleaner but that did not make much progress.

I have not tried Kroil or Shooter's choice yet.

So far I would say that paint thinner (mineral spirits) and acetone have loosened the most crud.

I can only presume the crud is plastic fouling. When it loosens it looks a bit stringy.

I have definitely removed fouling but bore contains a lot of darkness for about a foot up to the screw in choke.

Separately I have been trying to clean the rem choke that came in the gun. It is about 90% clean now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have used a scotch brite pad on a brush with a good solvent and a drill with success.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't know about brake cleaner, carb cleaner, gas, scrubbing bubbles, windex or monster energy drink as a cleaner but the bore and choke cleaner by shooters choice works well when it comes to cleaning my bores and chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 am 
Tournament Grade

I too have used Shooters Choice on bores and chokes with good results.
I also use a brass wire bore brush wrapped with cotton patches to both apply and scrub the barrel.

On a new to me barrel I like to use a tightly wrapped bore brush with fine steel wool powered by a cordless drill and "burnish" the bore with light gun oil. On a decent plain steel barrel (not chromed) you can really make it shine like a mirror with about 10 minutes worth of work. Don't recommend using a SS bore brush as they will scratch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:17 pm 
Field Grade

Don't know about plastic but if it is lead, The chore boy copper pads will remove the lead. Pull some strands and wrap an old brush. Works like a charm..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I will get some of those chore boy copper pads at Walmart.
They should not harm the bore and be better than patches or my brass brush which is fairly soft.

I have hesitated to use a drill and steel wool, being afraid I might hurt the bore.

I have not seen Shooters Choice locally. I might order it online eventually.

Thanks, yall.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:17 pm 
Field Grade

I find them more at Wal Greens..Make sure the are the all copper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

HawkEyeEarl wrote:
I will get some of those chore boy copper pads at Walmart.
They should not harm the bore and be better than patches or my brass brush which is fairly soft.

I have hesitated to use a drill and steel wool, being afraid I might hurt the bore.

I have not seen Shooters Choice locally. I might order it online eventually.

Thanks, yall.
:)

Most of the "copper" Chore Boys sold at Walmart are steel with a copper wash

Hint - take a magnet with you

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:08 am 
Limited Edition

If your not comfortable with using 0000 steel wool get a 10 gauge brass bore brush. Run that through the bore well lubed with the drill for a minute or two. If that doesn't take the fowling out it may not be plastic. On non chromed barrels and choke tubes,I use a drill with patches and JB bore paste on a bore brush. It works great to clean and shine them up.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well? Find something that works?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:36 pm 
Utility Grade

All copper scrubbing pads, that I found, were copper washed - magnet stuck to them.
Instead, I got heavy duty scotch plastic scrubbing pads, cut them in big pieces so that dowel was tight inside them. I used a 2 hand grip and pushed the pads and patches nearly to the end, then put the dowel in the other end and pushed the other way repeatedly.

I used my 12 gauge brass brush, scrubbing pads, paper towels, Ed's Red, Smith & Wesson Copper, Lead and Plastic remover, Ballistol and Mobil One 0W-20 synthetic oil. More fouling came out in every pass with every liquid I used - Ed's Red is still the best., S&W is probably 2nd best. That is to say 1st and 2nd patch after applying a liquid and brushing or scrubbing would come dark dirty or light dirty depending on the liquid.

It is cleaner than ever but still the dirtiest bore I have. The last foot before the choke is dark but thinner that it was in the beginning.

I am pretty sure spinning a brush with a drill would do it, but not going to do it yet.

This must be 30 years of fouling. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:17 pm 
Field Grade

HawkEyeEarl wrote:
All copper scrubbing pads, that I found, were copper washed - magnet stuck to them.
Instead, I got heavy duty scotch plastic scrubbing pads, cut them in big pieces so that dowel was tight inside them. I used a 2 hand grip and pushed the pads and patches nearly to the end, then put the dowel in the other end and pushed the other way repeatedly.

I used my 12 gauge brass brush, scrubbing pads, paper towels, Ed's Red, Smith & Wesson Copper, Lead and Plastic remover, Ballistol and Mobil One 0W-20 synthetic oil. More fouling came out in every pass with every liquid I used - Ed's Red is still the best., S&W is probably 2nd best. That is to say 1st and 2nd patch after applying a liquid and brushing or scrubbing would come dark dirty or light dirty depending on the liquid.

It is cleaner than ever but still the dirtiest bore I have. The last foot before the choke is dark but thinner that it was in the beginning.

I am pretty sure spinning a brush with a drill would do it, but not going to do it yet.

This must be 30 years of fouling. :)

This is what I use on all of my new to me rifles, have never harmed a barrel..

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I wish I could have found pure copper scrubbing pads. I looked in 3 stores. There were only the copper washed ones. I may yet happen up on pure copper pads.