It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: removing bore fouling from Remington Special Field
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:03 pm 
Field Grade

WalGreens is the only place in Florida I have found them. Bought all they had last time. I'll check again and let you know if they have more. I'll box em up at no additional costs. (pads and shipping only)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:08 pm 
Crown Grade

The brush on a rod in a drill will really speed things up - on my guns, it takes a few seconds.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Many years ago I saw a gunsmith (my cousin), take 4/0 steel wool on a bore brush and some solvent, clean up a old shotgun barrel with a high speed drill. Work great getting out the crud.
After that he used some new 4/0 steel wool and some gun oil and gave the barrel a good polishing for about five minutes..................... the barrel look spotless when he got done.
Steel wool will not hurt the barrel...................as long as you use solvent or oil during use.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don’t know about other barrels but Winchester Proof Steel is quite hard, so hard in fact, that at times the custom shop engravers were unable to engrave receivers and they had to be sent back to be annealed. Steel that is as hard as that will not be harmed by steel wool.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I got a lot of steel wool that I can use when I am ready. It is good to know that the bore will clean up without harm.

I will try the pure copper next when I get some.

Seems I have tried a lot of stuff, may as well see what copper does.

I had a old double barrel from the 1920's that looked bad some time ago.
It cleaned with a lot less effort and chemicals. It surprised me that it became mirror bright and smooth.

Thanks, yall

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:41 am 
Field Grade

Just use a drill with copper wool wrapped on a bronze brush.
Dip in your choice of cleaner and the crap will fly.
Start slow then wick it up you'll feel when the crud breaks loose.
Keep the brush wet - it's sloppy but cleans high volume crud the best.