It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EAA .22LR/.22MAG 8 shot Bounty Hunter revolver
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Earlier this week I paid $300 for an 8 shot EAA Bounty Hunter .22 single action 4 3/4” barrel revolver with 22 LR and .22 MAG cylinders. These revolvers are made in Germany by Weirauch, and the polish fit, finish, and blue is top notch. The frame is steel, and grip frame aluminum, grips are oil finished walnut, and there’s a transfer bar safety so you can load eight rounds. It’s a lot of gun, for $300, and has a lifetime warranty.

There are a lot of good features to this revolver. It loads from half cock, and the recessed holes in the cylinder index perfectly with the ejector rod without holding the cylinder. This avoids the objectional feature of other brands of transfer bar safety revolvers (other than the special run of Ruger Flattops and the New Vaquero) that do not index the holes behind the ejector rod, and makes this one easy to load and unload. The weight and balance of the gun approximates a Colt Single Action, so it’s good practice for shooting a big bore Peacemaker type revolver. Windage is dead on, and the gun shoots slightly low, so the user can file the flat topped front sight to bring up elevation. The frame is blued steel (attracts a magnet) and the aluminum grip frame matches the steel parts perfectly. The walnut grips take boiled linseeed oil, and have no varnish or lacquer to come off. Here’s a .22 single action revolver that loads, handles, points, shoots, and unloads like the real deal.

There are some downsides, though. The barrel may be pinned on, and not screwed in. There’s a solid pin through the frame, that mars the looks and original configuration of a cowboy gun. There is also a solid pin below the barrel that seems to hold on the front of the ejector housing. The action seems gritty, although a little use ought to slick it up. And like the originals, the rear sight notch is blocked when the hammer falls. All that said, this revolver costs new over two hundred dollars less what a new Ruger version would cost new and “feels” much more like a big bore single action than the lighter Ruger.

There are times a .22 revolver is just the ticket for having fun outdoors. Recoil is nonexistent and there is less noise that inspires low lifed, ill bred, and poorly raised cell phone Judases to call the law on neighbors at the sound of gunshots. Since you can buy .22 shells again, it’s slighly cheaper to shoot .22 LR than shooting reloaded 38 Special wadcutters. For a “first handgun” or an extra hog leg to keep around for practice, these should be ideal. The German made quality of these guns is a quantum leap over the very cheapest .22 single actions, and they fit in a standard sized Colt sized holster. For those who like spending more money shooting a .22 than a centerfire revolver, there’s an extra .22 Mag cylinder in the box. EAA has been importing these guns for many years, and a lifetime warranty is nice to have.

Yet no outdoors revolver is better than the special run of Ruger 44 Special Flattops. If you don’t have a 44 Special Flattop already, you want one and don’t know it yet.

It’s a shame there’s not a .22 LR Ruger Flattop, but at half the price these .22 Bounty Hunter revolvers are god practice for shooting the genuine article.:)

Post subject: Re: EAA .22LR/.22MAG 8 shot Bounty Hunter revolver
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

The .22LR Bounty Hunter is on my list of guns to be purchased.
I had a .45LC Bounty Hunter pistol and loved it.
I should have kept it. I foolishly sold it to fund a different buy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

I recently purchased the Bounty Hunter in the eight shot .22 version.
I like the gun. It's a fully size gun but in .22 caliber.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since I bought my .22 LR/Mag combo Bounty Hunter, I came on a bargain in a Uberti Stallion first model six shot cowboy gun, and bought it, along with a holster for it. The Stallion is not a full Colt sized revolver, but about 7/8 scale. They fit in the same holsters as the Ruger Single Six.

The .22 rimfire single action Peacemaker styled revolver is a fun gun. It's not really the thing to use for self defense, concealed carry, or law enforcement, or hunting, or precision target shooting, or anything but having fun outdoors with and practicing shooting a big hogleg. My two .22 cowboy revolvers are more accurate than I can shoot them, and I can make things interesting at two hundred yards across a big pond at hitting a log or a clump of cattails. A little practice, and you can walk the shots right in where you want them.

Ruger has never made a full Colt sized cowboy revolver, that I'm aware of. The genuine Colt Model P revolvers in .22 LR would be scarce and expensive, and are no longer made.

But if you want the very best available brand new .22 rimfire cowboy six shooter, I think it would be the 12 shot Uberti 1873 Cattleman. The list price is something like $550. I believe there is a six shot version for about fifty bucks less.

But for about $150 you can buy a brand new Heritage .22 cowboy six shooter, and it's not polished or finished very well, but it works.

And once you start talking over five hundred dollars for a cowboy six shooter, then you are in range of a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 44 Special, and there is the gun, that you practice with the .22's to use.

I own a .357 Uberti 1873 Cattleman with a Taylor tuned action, I got cheap in a trade. It is a magnificent looking gun, as accurate and good as any hogleg ever was or will be.

But I own a matching pair of 44 Special Ruger Flattops. One cost about $450 new, and Bladeswitcher sold me the other one that was nearly new for $350. I have a two gun rig for them, and even Elmer Keith would approve of the set up.

When a fellow is out in Spout Spring Hollow, and one of those feral hogs might be sneaking around out there lurking, the little guns like the .357's and 22s are better left back at camp.:)