It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 12 gauge 7/8oz loads with Clays powder
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:36 am 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
I think it was a comment from Alliant concerning humidity changing powder drops. It was something along the lines of '......it would have to be raining in your powder bottle.......'

Nawwww,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, everyone knows better than Hodgdon.........................

I guess all reloaders do all their reloading outside underneath the shade tree, preferably when it's raining.
This makes me the freak oddity that uses a spare bedroom inside the climate controlled house.

And of course............... the un-instrumented Mk-1 Mod-0 human shoulder can tell how fast a shotshell is fired, because the brain says it knows.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think what we might have here are a bunch of smart A#$ on this here thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think what we might have here are a bunch of smart A#$ on this here thread. :lol: {hs#

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

It seems to me that they are still trying to get Clays regulated, both density and burn rate. A lot depends on the lot number you get right now. Drop back to 16 grains, or even 15.5. Probably a 28 bushing for 15.5. Make sure your crimps are good if you drop down. Recoil will be a lot more tolerable. I’ve shot thousands of 15.3 grain loads with no trouble. They will just be a little dirty.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

These are 7/8 oz. 12 gauge loads, how much recoil can there possibly be with 17.0 grains of Clays?

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Enough that I won’t shoot it in my O/u for a round. Then again I’ve broken my back, had nine back operations, 11 vertebra fused with titanium rods and hardware, and a titanium plate in my neck. Also had more concussions than I care to mention. Recoil gives me blurred vision, spots, and floaters in my eyes. Not to mention the headaches. I know all this ain’t normal, but I have to do what I have to do. There was a time when I would go out and shoot the 10 gauge all morning at ducks. Those days are gone. I also shoot a nine pound gun with Isis recoil reduction. Why not shoot an auto some ask. Because I reload, I don’t like having to pick up my hulls. And I shoot this o/u better than any gun I’ve ever shot. So I make it work. Bottom line,I don’t need the extra umph to break targets and shoot with people all the time that are amazed that I break long targets consistently with my slow, wimpy, 7/8oz loads and 1oz loads at an optimistic 1125fps. Put the gun where it needs to be, the target breaks. Another plus is being able to recover faster from recoil and get to the next bird with minimal movement. Every now and then I might stick a 1oz at 1200fps in there for something over the top.
A little humor
I tell people that shoot against me they are going to lose either way.
If they beat me, they will have beaten a cripple. Who feels good about that?
If I beat them, they got beat by a cripple. Who wants anybody to find that out?
And Who knows what would happen if word got out they got beat by a cripple shooting wimpy loads?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

{hs#

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mark, I will say again though that they evidently are still working on density and burn rate for Clays since getting it back online. I get it at a good deal on it, buy in quantity, and keep my shooting buddies supplied. We all agreed that one particular lot number we got ahold of was just flat out hot, strong, robust or whatever you want to call it. Loads we had been doing fine with would rattle your fillings. We also had as much as a two bushing swing between lots for the same grain weight. It’ll keep you on your toes.
You actually like a powder that I have always thought about trying because it’s so flexible and economical, 700x. I use a little 800x for late season dove loads, but my suppliers price on 700x is always high enough to keep me away.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Turpentine, do you have any issues when going through the scanners at the airport? That sounds like a lot of metal.

My hat's off to you for continuing to shoot with those sorts of challenges.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you sir. I get stopped in airports, courthouses, some stores, and other odd places. It can get quite interesting.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:27 pm 
Field Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
Thank you sir. I get stopped in airports, courthouses, some stores, and other odd places. It can get quite interesting.

You are an inspiration Turpentine1! I started shooting more trap/skeet a couple years ago after a fall thrashed my spine. 3 fused vertebrae in my neck made golf and my hike in fly fishing trips a thing of the past.

I got into reloading my own shotshells for exactly the same reason: I can load my hulls down to 7/8oz at just about 1145fps and its pretty tame in my Beretta SP1 sporting. And like you said, if I do my part 7/8oz will bust em just as well as 1 1/8oz at skeet and 16yr trap distances. Plus lighter powder charges and less shot means more shells out of each batch. Seems like a win/win to me.

I just bought a 28g O/U and am going to load those with #9 3/4oz loads at 1145fps as well. I suspect the recoil will be minimal. If you arent already shooting 28g you may want to check it out.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you want a pleasure to shoot, 3/4 oz. All I use is 7.5 shot. Amazing the breaks. 7/8 has more distance beyond 35 yards though. All in 12 ga, 8.5 gun. All clays powder. Granted other powers are available, and probably more suitable for light loads.....