It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double barrel shotgun identification (Maybe British)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 am 
Utility Grade

So I Inherited this shotgun
It's total size is 100cm ( 1 meter) and ti looks like a 16 cauge
Many parts of the metal look rusty but I will type what I can make out:
On top of the barrels it says: Arlington Stockton on Tee's & Middlesbrough
On the side of it above the triger: J(J) SMYTH(S)
Quote:
Image Image

Post subject: Re: Double barrel shotgun identification (Maybe British)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am 
Utility Grade

Any ideas ?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:43 am 
Crown Grade

Take some GOOD legible photos of the markings underside of the barrels at the breech end, and of the markings on the receiver flats. That's where most of the proof and other ID marks are.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John Smyth was the proprietor of a hardware store in Chicago. Arlington and Stockton is an intersection in Chicago-- perhaps it's where the hardware store was located. It appears that your gun was made by Folsom Arms (https://gun-data.com/folsom_firearms.htm), who made very low quality guns. They were lousy guns then, and 100+ years later they are an accident waiting to happen.

Please, for the love of God, don't try to shoot that thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
John Smyth was the proprietor of a hardware store in Chicago. Arlington and Stockton is an intersection in Chicago-- perhaps it's where the hardware store was located. It appears that your gun was made by Folsom Arms (https://gun-data.com/folsom_firearms.htm), who made very low quality guns. They were lousy guns then, and 100+ years later they are an accident waiting to happen.

Please, for the love of God, don't try to shoot that thing.

I really appreciate the answer, could you give me an estimate of its value ?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Crescent Fire Arms, owned by H&D Folsom, briefly made a boxlock "Triumph" for Sears, which appears to have a different design. The American Gun Co. and tradename doubles thereafter were all sidelocks

1898 Sears Catalog

H&D Folsom also imported tradename doubles.

Please see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=423424

As a piece of family history it is of course priceless, but as is it carries essentially no value. As Bob said, remove the forearm and post high resolution images of every mark and we may be able to ID the maker.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:51 am 
Field Grade

Not a Folsom,way too many fancy touches,engraving and script on barrel.nope don't happen on a cheap gun.This gun is a wallhanger now ,but I bet it was nice once.Too bad it was not maintained DONT TRY TO FIRE.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As already said don't even think of firing that piece !.
Anyway a Joseph F Smythe was in business in Darlington, Stockton & Tees, and Middlesborough (England) at various addresses from 1886 thru 1932. All these places being in the same area of North Eastern England.
Undoubtedly your gun came from there, whether made by Smythe or more likely made in Birmingham and sold by Smythe.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Agree with Sans Peur; it's got Birmingham box lock written all over it; there were thousands like it, made for "the trade".

Given the style of the engraving on the furniture I'd say it was quite an early example, and was probably built prior to WW1. It was a reasonable quality piece in it's day; the wood on the stock is nicely figured, that might well be a horn butt plate, and there is an escutcheon in silver or German silver.

As to value, well virtually nothing I'm afraid; might be a source of spare parts if the locks aren't too rusty inside, and the woodwork might make a nice replacement stock for a similar gun. I'd give you a couple of quid for the escutcheon and that'd be it. Basically it's an ex-parrot, shame really.

Eug