It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In praise of Brownells 1100 action tube nut removal tool!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:30 pm 
Field Grade

So after reading a few threads about removing the dreaded 1100 action tube nut I thought I would post about my own experience to hopefully save others from the same problem. 1st let me state that I am VERY competent when it comes to working on guns and would even consider myself to be an amateur gunsmith. There are very few guns I cannot fix and am extremely knowledgeable about shotguns. Why do I mention this???? So you will know that I am competent with tools and put forth the utmost effort on this project. So here is what was tried. I used 3 huge flat blade scewdrivers with square shanks to add the crescent wrench for extra leverage and one jack tool with a flat blade on the end. this has broken loose every stock I have ever had to remove. Two broke tips, one twisted, and the big jack accessory tool actually twisted the tip. Soaked it with pb blaster on several occasions and let sit...still no luck. Actually hit it with a torch inside the buttstock to heat the nut...no luck. Rapped on the head of the nut with a steel rod to hopefully bust the rust loose on the threads or let some pb blaster get in there....no luck. Yes the gun was very securely locked down in a vice...no luck. Yes, I had a second person help me on the crescent wrench so I could focus all of my inner being on pushing those massive screwdrivers as hard onto the nut as I possibly could....no luck. yes, I tried the spade bit trick...no luck. Yes, I started to booger up the slot on the nut to where the screwdrivers would no longer bite....no luck. Yes, I tried pb blaster and heat more than once...no luck. F$&k IT!!!!!! Let's try the brownells tool and see if it really makes a difference???? Tool came in today, secured receiver in a padded vice, attached Brownells bit to a measly 3/8 ratchet and a 6" extension and immediately could feel how well the bit fit onto the nut with almost no free play....but would it work???? So I leaned in hard against the ratchet to make sure the Brownells bit could not back off and....heave!!!!!! POP!!!!did it broke loose??? At first, I thought I might have even broken the action spring tube because of the God awful noise it made when it broke loose, but imagine my surprise when it just began unscrewing!!! it literally took 1 minute to break loose after those hours of trying all the other methods. I cannot stress to you how much this was the best 23.99 I have ever spent in my life!!! And because I work on lots of shotguns I will certainly use it again!!! I was certain that all of the methods I tried previously exerted enough force to where this tool would never do the trick when the other tools wouldnt.....yet in one minute, it was off. Do not hesitate at all to purchase this bit, it was a lifesaver for me!!!!

Post subject: Re: In praise of Brownells 1100 action tube nut removal tool
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes a Great tool now if we only knew how many ft lbs to tighten to.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm 
Field Grade

Can you provide a link?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... od967.aspx

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

I made a tool to remove the screw by taking a wood (drill) bit and grinding the point off I used either a 3/4 or 7/8 (the size that just fits in the stock hole) to make a screwdriver that will not come out and get between the bolt and the wood I tack welded the bit into a old 1/4 inch drive socket so I can use a ratchet and extensions as needed

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Someone here suggested a length of PVC pipe big enough to fit over the bolt and then run a 3/8 socket bit down. I used copper tubing, works a charm.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I made a tool similar to vaskeet using a spade bit. Except for grinding the point off, I left the center point on and ground down the two points on the tips. Leaving the center point in helped keep it centered and stopped it from walking out. The point fits perfectly in the hole and acts as a guide. Nothing seemed to be working on mine and I don’t think it’s been off since it was put on 40 years ago. So I heard someone recommend the bit method and it worked like a charm. After I finally got it off I ordered the newer style nut and put it on. Now it’s no problem removing it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:44 am 
Presentation Grade

+1

I’ve had one of the Brownell tools for years now. If you own any 1100’s it is worth every penny!