It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 5673
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Lads,

A single four bore as in Vikram's snap is/was regarded as a shoulder gun for them big enough and strong to handle it; but a double four is inevitably a punt gun.

The gun in the late Mr Knapps video may well once have been a punt gun, but the stock on it is a long way from kosher. In a punt you need to be able to depress the stock to take shot as fowl are lifting off. A long traditional shaped stock would foul the floor of the punt and be very unwieldy, so the traditional shape is as in the pic. below.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2011/07/punt-gun.jpg

Although made by H&H it was a notorious killer of puntsmen; when the breech was closed on a tight cartridge with a bit of crap on it, the thing could go off before the breech was properly closed. The last time I heard about an incident was about 20 years ago; one bloke killed, one badly injured.

Sort of informed video below ....


Better one ...

I've only been out punting a couple of times, but it was enormous fun and absolutely perishing cold.

Eug



_________________
For my part, I mind my belly very studiously, and very carefully; for I look upon it, that he who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else." Doctor Johnson quoted by Boswell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 3254
Location: Newton Kansas
Trying to locate that 2-bore blunderbuss kit, it could be gone.

Here is a very nice 4-bore kit, Rayl barrel, Chambers lockwork, already inletted stock.
http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-4/

Breech is 1.5" across, the muzzle is 2 inches.

Also some here:
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBB.shtml

_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:54 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 5673
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
A thousand years ago when I was alive, together with a mate I played around with an old Royal Navy flintlock boat gun which you might call a blunderbuss. From memory It was somewhere between ten and eight bore and the patterns we made with an ounce and a half of 000 buck would have spoilt a boarders day or blown a quayside sentry away very effectively. Used against a small boats rowing crew it would have been a wicked thing.

Even now it would be a pretty handy tool in close quarter battle; it had a captive ramrod that helped speed the loading up even further.

Not ours, but pretty similar...

Image

Eug

_________________
For my part, I mind my belly very studiously, and very carefully; for I look upon it, that he who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else." Doctor Johnson quoted by Boswell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:20 pm
Posts: 7292
Location: Mysterious Cities of Gold
I got a question for our resident blunderbuss experts here regarding the flared barrel. I personally have always known it's like that to aid in loading while on horseback or boarding ships, but I can't even tell you the amount of times I heard the myth about the flaring acts as a reverse choke and increases the spread. Does anyone know where the origin of that myth came from?

_________________
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 11099
Maser wrote:
I got a question for our resident blunderbuss experts here regarding the flared barrel. I personally have always known it's like that to aid in loading while on horseback or boarding ships, but I can't even tell you the amount of times I heard the myth about the flaring acts as a reverse choke and increases the spread. Does anyone know where the origin of that myth came from?


I am no expert but my guess is probably from general ignorance. We still see plenty of gun ignorance today. For example, if all you knew about shotguns came from watching old westerns you would probably think that sawing off a shotgun barrel would cause the pattern to spread so much that you only had to point it in the general direction of a man to hit him thus eliminating aming. Myths about the 17th century "speed loader", that is the built in funnel, probably started the same way.

As I understand it, some early match lock muskets designed to shoot only a single ball also had this feature. It may or may not be true but in a lot of old movies portray the Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth rock in 1620 carrying such muskets. A modern equivalent might be a flared magazine well on a pistol.

_________________
Free people are not equal and equal people are not free.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:20 pm
Posts: 7292
Location: Mysterious Cities of Gold
Ezra Smack wrote:
For example, if all you knew about shotguns came from watching old westerns you would probably think that sawing off a shotgun barrel would cause the pattern to spread so much that you only had to point it in the general direction of a man to hit him thus eliminating aming.


The fake sound of a suppressor comes to mind. As a kid I believed that suppressed handguns and rifles had that odd sound to them. It wasn't until I got older and shot suppressed guns in real life that I realized just how fake sounding that sound was. I wish guns portrayed in movies and TV shows would be more accurate in their realism. As a gamer, I am seeing many modern games where they are nailing the real life aspects of guns, their suppressed sounds, and even their bullet drop.

_________________
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 11099
What the eyes see and the ears hear, the subconscious mind tends to believe. Especially when it is reinforced by multiple reputations over a period of time.

This is how a lot of gun myths got started and perpetuated.

And what political persuasion is most likely to be affected by fictional portrayals of life as proffered by TV, Hollywood and books of fiction?

_________________
Free people are not equal and equal people are not free.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm
Posts: 2148
Location: On the wrong side of the river, Austin TX
Maser wrote:
Ezra Smack wrote:
For example, if all you knew about shotguns came from watching old westerns you would probably think that sawing off a shotgun barrel would cause the pattern to spread so much that you only had to point it in the general direction of a man to hit him thus eliminating aming.


The fake sound of a suppressor comes to mind. As a kid I believed that suppressed handguns and rifles had that odd sound to them. It wasn't until I got older and shot suppressed guns in real life that I realized just how fake sounding that sound was. I wish guns portrayed in movies and TV shows would be more accurate in their realism. As a gamer, I am seeing many modern games where they are nailing the real life aspects of guns, their suppressed sounds, and even their bullet drop.


You know, I never knew that laser blasters made ricochet noises until I was watching some Star Wars episode on TV, and, isn't everything supposed to be weightless in deep space?
Maybe it's time for that series to be on Mystery Science Theater 3000.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 11099
B.L.E. wrote:

You know, I never knew that laser blasters made ricochet noises until I was watching some Star Wars episode on TV...


The sound for the laser blaster in the original 1977 Star Wars movie was recorded by striking the guy wire on a radio antena.

_________________
Free people are not equal and equal people are not free.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 3254
Location: Newton Kansas
B.L.E. wrote:
Maser wrote:
Ezra Smack wrote:
For example, if all you knew about shotguns came from watching old westerns you would probably think that sawing off a shotgun barrel would cause the pattern to spread so much that you only had to point it in the general direction of a man to hit him thus eliminating aming.


The fake sound of a suppressor comes to mind. As a kid I believed that suppressed handguns and rifles had that odd sound to them. It wasn't until I got older and shot suppressed guns in real life that I realized just how fake sounding that sound was. I wish guns portrayed in movies and TV shows would be more accurate in their realism. As a gamer, I am seeing many modern games where they are nailing the real life aspects of guns, their suppressed sounds, and even their bullet drop.


You know, I never knew that laser blasters made ricochet noises until I was watching some Star Wars episode on TV, and, isn't everything supposed to be weightless in deep space?
Maybe it's time for that series to be on Mystery Science Theater 3000.



Artificial Gravity, normally generated by gravity plates in the bulkhead designated 'floor'.
We haven't invented them yet, but they will exist.

They do not exist in Babylon 5 and 2001 A Space Odyssey (also 2010). These use rotation-induced gravity, centrifugal force gravity.

There is no sound in space either, so no sounds from blasters, ion drives, planet-killer lasers, explosions,, anything else.

_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:20 pm
Posts: 7292
Location: Mysterious Cities of Gold
B.L.E. wrote:
Maybe it's time for that series to be on Mystery Science Theater 3000.


Good luck with that! MST3K is mainly focused on b-movies. Sad, but true and I would LOVE to hear them riff on the Star Wars prequels.

_________________
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Return of the blunderbuss.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm
Posts: 2148
Location: On the wrong side of the river, Austin TX
Maser wrote:
B.L.E. wrote:
Maybe it's time for that series to be on Mystery Science Theater 3000.


Good luck with that! MST3K is mainly focused on b-movies. Sad, but true and I would LOVE to hear them riff on the Star Wars prequels.


OK, then maybe Svengoulie could turn into Svenvader and riff on the Star Wars IX, "In Search of More Box Office Dollars".




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: bigalt, Bing [Bot], bobfar, cole1, D McMillen, edgerat, fblainen11, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, ithacanut, Knipan, Majestic-12 [Bot], simsy9, sovrapposti, StevenZ, SuperXOne, Valdemar


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice