It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Turkish Semi Auto to get
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I want to get a semi auto, I own to O/U Turkish guns so I’d like to keep up my collection.
I was looking at the following:

Weatherby SA-08
CZ 712/912
Tristar G2 Viper
Yildez

What do folks recommend?

Lanber Sporting Lux 2097 Over Under 12 Gauge
CZ Woodcock Deluxe 103FE Over Under 12 Gauge
Yildiz SPZ ME Special Over Under 12 Gauge

Post subject: Re: Which Turkish Semi Auto to get
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 am 
Utility Grade

Look at youtube.com , lots of information there and here . Randy Wakeman has some terrific reviews. I've been looking around for weeks at everything I could find on 28ga autos , read all the posts here. I just sent payment for a TriStar viper G2 28ga. from Buds. I like the 5 year warranty , dual action bars ,and the fiber optic front bead. lot's of stuff to see. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can`t recall seeing anything but positives relative to the SA-08. I believe Randy thinks highly of them as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have both the SA-08, and the CZ 912, I really like both of them, the Weatherby has a better finish, and is slick, the 912 is really nice also, I guess it would boil down to, looking at the plates on my truck when I lived in Illinois 912 CZ. :D

cdb

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 am 
Field Grade

I am not sure for which propose you want to Semi Auto Shotgun , Hunting, Clay shooting or just shooting. But if you are not obsessive for wood finish and classic looking. I can recommend Hatsan Shotguns. Hatsan shotgun like WV , poor design but always working. Also Hatsan new systems in Semi Auto most hunters very happy with that.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I can't remember anyone saying anything bad about the SA-08. My own skeet gun is a Weatherby Element Deluxe (wood/blued) and the fit and finish are top notch. I expect the SA08 is right there as well.

I looked at a CZ 20ga, and it was nice, but it wasn't quite as well assembled IMHO. But they also seem to get pretty solid marks from users.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

FallowJaegar wrote:
I want to get a semi auto, I own to O/U Turkish guns so I’d like to keep up my collection.

Weatherby SA-08
CZ 712/912
Tristar G2 Viper
Yildez

What do folks recommend?

It depends on the gauge and the action.

For 20 gauge, the Mossberg SA-20 is an excellent choice, as is the SA-28. Both are Armsan. The Weatherby SA-08 gas guns (ATA) in 12 and 20 are pretty good as well.

For an inertia 12 gauge, the Retay Masai Mara is the pick of the litter.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

FallowJaegar wrote:

Weatherby SA-08
CZ 712/912
Tristar G2 Viper
Yildez

What do folks recommend?

I have the Yildiz in 20ga. Simple operation, really nice wood, chromed inside and out, 5 chokes. No issues, all good.
Good luck deciding!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

2 weeks ago i purchased a g2 viper sporting 12 ga . Ive put 125 rounds thru it 4 rounds
of skeet using 1145 fps ammo and 25 hv rounds for brake in with out a hitch. Its a very nice
gun for the money

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:08 pm 
Utility Grade

rick9 wrote:
2 weeks ago i purchased a g2 viper sporting 12 ga . Ive put 125 rounds thru it 4 rounds
of skeet using 1145 fps ammo and 25 hv rounds for brake in with out a hitch. Its a very nice
gun for the money

Is the Tristar Viper G2 Sporter, is that the red metal version? It looks really cool. I’m strongly looking in to that one. I’m more of a trap shooter and I just want a fun 12 gauge semi auto.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the Yildiz in 20ga. Simple operation, really nice wood, chromed inside and out, 5 chokes. No issues, all good.
Good luck deciding![/quote]

Is this Yildiz the A-71 that they sell at Academy Sports? You give it good marks?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:54 pm 
Field Grade

No i have the walnut model with adj comb and raised flat rib it shoot about 50/50
But its the same action as the red sporting. but diffrent rib

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:21 am 
Field Grade

If you want a semi auto on the cheap, then take yourself up to a local wal mart and try a $189 Hatfield. I have owned 2 for a couple years now. One in 20 gauge and one in 12 gauge. For a cheap simple gun you cant go wrong with this Turkish offering. I have several thousand rounds through both of mine and as long as they get cleaned after each outing then no complaints. They come with a Heavy and a Light piston and 4 chokes cant be beat for a very cheap gun. The Weatherby SA08 is similar but a little better and of course more expensive but Weatherby has always built very nice guns out of Japan. Just figured I would through out another option for you. Good luck

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

FallowJaegar wrote:
Good luck deciding!

Is this Yildiz the A-71 that they sell at Academy Sports? You give it good marks?[/quote]

Yes it is. In 20 ga. couple of thousand rounds through it. Nice, reliable good looking gun.
We also have the 12ga pump and a 12 ga SPZ ME O/U.
The O/U has over 13,000 rounds through it.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 pm 
Utility Grade

sgun2015 wrote:
FallowJaegar wrote:
Good luck deciding!

Is this Yildiz the A-71 that they sell at Academy Sports? You give it good marks?

Yes it is. In 20 ga. couple of thousand rounds through it. Nice, reliable good looking gun.
The O/U has over 13,000 rounds through it.[/quote]

I went to Academy today, they had a A-71 in 12 gauge. I really liked the way it felt. Lightweight and nice wood. It was only $399, which is a good price for a budget semi auto. Do you think it would be a good slug gun? I hunt in thick woods for hogs and was thinking about being able to use a semi auto for get some piggies.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:42 am 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
FallowJaegar wrote:

Weatherby SA-08
CZ 712/912
Tristar G2 Viper
Yildez

What do folks recommend?

It depends on the gauge and the action.

For 20 gauge, the Mossberg SA-20 is an excellent choice, as is the SA-28. Both are Armsan. The Weatherby SA-08 gas guns (ATA) in 12 and 20 are pretty good as well.

For an inertia 12 gauge, the Retay Masai Mara is the pick of the litter.

Thank you for sharing. Your videos are great Randy. That Retay Masai Mara is a sweet looking firearm. It looks out of my price range I was looking at but boy it looks nice in the videos.

Is there a big difference between the Armsan and ATA made gas guns? In the end I want a all around use semi-auto. I love my little 20 gauge Franchi but I'd like to have something else as well in 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

FallowJaegar wrote:
sgun2015 wrote:
FallowJaegar wrote:
Good luck deciding!

The O/U has over 13,000 rounds through it.

I went to Academy today, they had a A-71 in 12 gauge. I really liked the way it felt. Lightweight and nice wood. It was only $399, which is a good price for a budget semi auto. Do you think it would be a good slug gun? I hunt in thick woods for hogs and was thinking about being able to use a semi auto for get some piggies.[/quote]

I have never shot slugs out of the semi but we have out of the Yildiz Pump and O/U. No issues hit where we pointed.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:38 pm 
Crown Grade

daddio202 wrote:
If you want a semi auto on the cheap, then take yourself ......The Weatherby SA08 is similar but a little better and of course more expensive but Weatherby has always built very nice guns out of Japan. Just figured I would through out another option for you. Good luck

FYI.

While some Weatherbys in the past, mostly O/U’s have been made in Italy and Japan, the SA-08 is made in Turkey.