It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 58 buffers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I finally gave in and decided that my Remington 58's needed bolt buffers installed.

I have 4 Remington 58's, three 20 gauge and one 16 gauge (my 4th 20 gauge should arrive in the next few days) None of my guns have buffers installed but i keep digging up info that indicates that they should have buffers, so i ordered 5 buffers and installed a couple of them tonight.
My question is exactly what is supposed to hold the buffers in place?... they fit pretty snug in the hole in the back of the receiver but it appears that it would be REALLY easy for these things to come loose and bounce around inside the receiver.
I am still a bit skeptical that these things actually had buffers from the factory so if someone can confirm that would be great. I did notice that each of my guns showed signs of the back of the bolt hitting the rear of the receiver so a buffer seems to be a good idea.

Post subject: Re: Remington 58 buffers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Model 58 manual only lists a magazine spring buffer, Magnum Grade. No bolt/receiver buffer is listed or shown. I have seen several installed in the recess in the rear of the receiver..

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 am 
Field Grade

My 1960 ish 16 gauge model 58 has a factory buffer in it. IIRC Remington initially did not have the buffer in the 58. Apparently some reports of receiver cracks (mostly 12 bore target guns) caused them to install the buffer. Nobody knows for sure but it certainly won't hurt to have the buffer in place. I have spare buffers I got from David Snoap (a real gentleman) and I am at a loss on how to properly install them also to prevent them from shifting. Even with the light recoiling 16 bore my gun's buffer shows evidence of bolt impact.

Darryl

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:29 pm 
Field Grade

I spoke with David Snoap via e mail. He advises that if the buffer seems insecure he uses epoxy to secure it and let it set up for a day or so. The pointed side of the buffer is inserted into the hole. He also mentioned to be sure that your firing pin protrudes no more than 1 /16th of an inch from the rear of the bolt. Any more can cause firing pin spring and pin damage when it hits the buffer.

FYI Darryl

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

My 4th 20 gauge gun arrived today and also has no buffer installed. I guess i will need to back up and check the firing pin on the 3 guns that i have already installed buffers.... funny there was no mention of possible damage as the 5 buffers i bought came with no instructions and again no mention of possible damage from installing the buffers.
I tried to install a buffer in one of my least used 20 gauges and the hole in the rear of the receiver was considerably larger and the buffer just fell out, i don't think i will try the epoxy route.
I am going to try to install a buffer in the 20 gauge gun that arrived today and see if it fits tightly in the receiver and i will shoot a little this weekend and see if the buffers stay in place.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Looking forward to the field test results. It is looking like the buffers were an afterthought by Remington to solve some receiver cracks in heavily used and abused 12 bore models 58. Of course there had to be lots of shooters who ignored the proper setting of the load dial too.

Darryl

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

My friend has a 20 ga 58. After a good cleaning the bolt won't lock back when empty although it shoots all 3 shells fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Broken or bent carrier latch is likely the culprit.

Darryl

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 am 
Field Grade

Probably a broken tab on the carrier assy, which is a common problem on the Model 58. Mine had the same issue.

Check and see if the tab is broken - This link explains the issue (with pics):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=312188

If it is, you'll need to replace the carrier assy (try Numrich). The Model 58 uses the same carrier assy as the Remington 1100. They cost about $35 and it takes about 10 minutes to replace.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 am 
Limited Edition

I put buffers in all my 58's 30 years ago and they are still there.
Epoxy is the only way to do them and it hurts nothing as to the function of the gun.
Mine were a white nylon/plastic looking material kind of beveled on the front and flat on the back where you epoxied them in place.