It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lubricating Auto 5 Mag Tube
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi,

I just lubed the magazine tube with regular Hoppes Lubricating oil, then wiped off the excess. Setup the rings for Magnum setting as I'm using 3" Winchester Long Beard XR 1200 FPS 1-3/4oz #5s.

Is that lubricant enough or should I use something like Breakfree CLP or G96?

Last edited by dak0ta on Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Lubricating Auto 5 Mag Tube
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Brass is self lubricating, I don't use anything on any of mine

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Is it? JMB used motor oil back in his day. The most recent Browning manual just says use "Browning oil" back when the manual was printed. I'm just wondering if the viscosity of the oil matters.

I watched Art Isaacson's videos on Youtube, and he setup the friction rings for magnum and it didn't cycle using magnum loads. He says the most common fix is adding a bit of oil to the mag tube and reliability improves. He adds a few drops of motor oil and voila it cycles fine. I know there's a fine line between friction and the felt recoil so I don't want to over or under oil. Maybe Mr. Wakeman can throw his 2 cents in if he's around.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have never had an issue with any of mine, 13 -14 that get regular use, almost a 50/50 mix of Light and Magnum, when properly set up for the ammo I am using.

I try it on the heavy setting first if it works I use it, if not I set it up for light loads. I have never used oil on any of the magazine tubes other than what is on the last rag that I wipe them down with when I reassemble them.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:25 pm 
Crown Grade

JMB said to use 30 weight. One quart will last a lifetime.

Also, Art says of a gun that will cycle light loads on the heavy setting “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” But what if you want to shoot heavy loads? Then it’s time to put on new Recoil and Action Springs.