It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Setting up a hunt in Gueydan La
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I was thinking about setting up a duck and goose hunt at SWLA outside of Gueydan for some of the members of the Remington forum for the members who are in Louisiana. Let me know if this is something that might be of interest. The camp can be located on google under Ramsey Russel SWLA hunting camp. Thought it might be nice for all of us to get together. The only money needed is to tip the cook, housekeeper, and guide. I would cover the rest. The only catch is Virginian would have to come and all you can use is Remington shotguns.

Post subject: Re: Setting up a hunt in Gueydan La
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Moosehead1, as my name implies I too live in Cajun Country near Lafayette. I'd be interested in taking part on a duck and goose hunt if allowed too. I also belong to a very nice skeet facility located about 4 miles north of Kaplan and shoot there quite a bit. Drop me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a call to set up a meeting when we can get together and shoot a few rounds of skeet if you would be interested.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds great I'll send you a pm. And to Dustin, who I met on this forum and has come hunting with me before is of course invited. We are looking for about 12 people...

But we have to get Virginian to attend. I also have better pics of the camp if anyone wants to see it in better detail..

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am currently almost immobile due to back surgery that went awry. :( Right now I wouldn't even attempt to shoot anything bigger than a .22. To rub salt in the wound - pun intended - they keep showing those ads for the Laser Spine Institute on TV. The next stage surgery is not even scheduled yet. Recovery is probably 2 to 3 months. BUT, as soon as I am able, I would be there. I used to live in Evangeline and worked in Mermentau, and have hunted in Gueydan. It is great, and bills itself as the duck hunting capital of America - along with a few other places.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Damn, I was hoping in a few months your back would be better. You could come and just stay at the camp, you know enjoy the conversation and stuff.. there will be plenty of food and gumbo.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I am able I will. Getting anywhere is the issue at present.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Speedy recovery brother...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian, maybe you could come down and I'll cook a chicken and sausage gumbo. It's worth the price of admission, if I may say so myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:37 am 
Utility Grade

I live in Sulphur, about 30 minutes away. I will be hunting in Gueydan this year quite a bit. I'm usually down on private land in Cameron or hunting in the canoe section of the Sabine Reserve.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 pm 
Field Grade

Virginian my wife is from Evangeline and I lived in Iota, originally from Bell City, for many years. Tried to PM you but couldn't click on your handle.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:04 am 
Utility Grade

I'm from Eunice, LA. Met up with Moosehead in Lafayette one day years ago and traded some shotshells. Moosehead invited me on a hunt I think back in 2014? I went meet him and some guys in Gueydan, made a morning hunt, had a great time and killed a nice mixed bag limit - teal, pintails, mallard wooduck, greys, and a couple spoonies. Would definitely like to do it again, if work schedule allows. Will keep in touch

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 am 
Presentation Grade

Yeah, I remember that hunt y'all were in the blind south of us in the marsh. if memory serves correctly you were hunting with another Eunice guy.

To the east of us on the blind that borders with Cherry Ridge I put two friends in that blind that aren't from Louisiana and as soon as first light hit it sounded like an Afghanistan mountain firefight. An hour later I had to send a case of Winchester Drylocks 12ga 3in 1 1/4 number 2s (that's 250 shells) cause they shot all their shells and only had 3 birds between them. I texted the guide and asked them what was going on and he said the kept jumping up while he was working the birds and taking way long shots. Hands down the two worst shots I had ever seen..
Come to think of it I didn't get any left over shells from that case. Guess they used them all. They never came back...
But you... I invited you on other trips but you couldn't make it because of work..
I always like scheduling hunts on Thursday or Friday..
I'll do it on the weekend this time...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 am 
Presentation Grade

It is an overnight stay, arrive on a Friday around 3-5pm, we drink, eat a little, play pool, darts, watch tv, clean guns, talk, shoot skeet..
Then we eat...and pretty much do all that stuff again...
Go to bed...
wake up to coffee and biscuits
Load up
Go hunting..make fantastic shots unless you are from New Orleans, in that case you make a short list of why you can't hit anything...
Return...full breakfast around the big table...
go home...

It normally cost $500-$600 a person which I'm picking up so no breaking stuff...
You tip the cook $20 min, the housekeeper $20, the guide $30 min. If anyone cant or won't do this please do not plan on coming down.