It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 50 bolt sticking
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm 
Field Grade

I recently purchased a Win. model 50 lightweight with a vent rib something I've never seen one before. I cleaned it without removing the stock and oiled it,took it to the range to try it on trap, it worked fine until the 25th shot the gun fired the bolt came back about an 1 1/2 and stuck. I removed the barrel and found the sleeve couldn't be removed I twisted it back and forth and it finally came out, at that point the bolt could be pushed forward. I cleaned it an oiled and I can move the freely. I've read where this has happened before but as far as in can see no one has found the actual problem. When its stuck it appears the bolt is tipped up at the front but why?

Post subject: Re: Model 50 bolt sticking
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:22 pm 
Field Grade

I've now got four model 50s and never had that problem. Some I haven't shot all that much, but I have had at least three of them more or less completely disassembled. When you cleaned your new acquisition I assume you just removed the barrel, floating chamber and the trigger group? If you didn't remove the trigger group you might try that and then cycle the bolt back and forth to see if anything obvious shows up. I'm wondering if the pin that connects the R/L slides, bolt and inertia rod has busted. Doesn't seem likely and you wouldn't be able see that unless you basically disassemble the gun. I found that pin (which is about the same OD as the one that secures the trigger group) fractured in the gun that I've had since 1960, but I didn't have the problem you experienced. If you are unfamiliar w the Model 50/59 you need to keep them timed to prevent cracking the receiver. Also, I never (anymore) really tighten the knurled forearm bolt tighter than finger tight when using the gun and even loosen it when it's on the rack at home not being used. Prevents cracking the forearm (if yours isn't cracked already). I found a video on You tube that was helpful for the first time I did a total disassembly. Good luck. Maybe someone else will chime in.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
see if the back of your bolt assy is scaring the inside of your receiver. your bolt kneels as it travels back to clear the top back slope of the receiver. thats how they were able to make a gun w/o the traditional hump back like an A5 browning.
it sounds like its not kneeling down far enough on recoil.
or, it may be recoiling too far due to a worn main spring and contacting the receiver.
whats the OA condition of the gun? the alloys wore faster than steel. it may be a worn groove on your L/R bolt guides too.

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am 
Field Grade

Picked up my model 50 from the gunsmith today, reason for bolt sticking there was a spring laying in the action, but there were no springs missing, how the extra spring got there is a mystery. It wasn't even the same size as any of the springs in the action. Oh well it functions smoothly like it should.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
weird...........

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 pm 
Field Grade

You're telling me, at least its working and I think I am going to take it to a local gun show tomorrow maybe I can find something to make a trade?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 pm 
Field Grade

Is the return pin on your floating chamber in place?

Darryl

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 am 
Crown Grade

look at the back of the chamber as mentioned. is there a small hole? maybe your smith didn't know ther is suppose to be a pin and plunger there.