It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mojo Dove A Flickers
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Anybody have any real opinion on whether or not these help a spread at all? I picked up 4 at academy figuring they can't really hurt, being an OTR driver my days in the field for all forms of hunting are exceptionally limited and I do anything I can to make the days I do get both fun and productive...looking forward to the responses

Post subject: Re: Mojo Dove A Flickers
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Personally, I've never seen them be productive. That said, I know fellows who swear by them.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Sphynx wrote:
Anybody have any real opinion on whether or not these help a spread at all?

They work: I used them last year.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

They are useful if for no other reason than as a distance marker. Set at about 30 yards and don't shoot until the bird is there. I won't guarantee you will hit them all, but will guarantee you'll save a butt load of shells over the the other sky blasters.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I’ve never used the A Flicker, but the Mojo Voodoo has been good for to help pull doves close. Sometimes they actually try to land on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am a dove freak, because there are not enough grouse left in Ohio to be a grouse freak.

Soooo, I can state from much personal experience that the Mojo often draws dove to them, sometimes ridiculously close. There is no doubt the birds are reacting to the decoy. Other times they are ignored by birds trading by. Although they have drawn birds for me late in the season, my experience indicates they may work more effectively earlier on, and that a certain percentage of birds likely become somewhat decoy shy if you miss them, and then hunt the same area repeatedly before new birds migrate in.

In any event, I use them anytime I have batteries and enough time to gather up my gear and set up. My belief is that they do more to help than hurt. In a hot field you will still have great shooting without them. And on slow days they will not miraculously turn a slow or barren field into a hot spot. But I generally use them. I believe they will indeed give you more opportunities in the long run.

I am not familiar with the A Flicker.

Good luck and let us your experiences.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:59 am 
Crown Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
I am a dove freak, because there are not enough grouse left in Ohio to be a grouse freak.

Soooo, I can state from much personal experience that the Mojo often draws dove to them, sometimes ridiculously close. There is no doubt the birds are reacting to the decoy. Other times they are ignored by birds trading by. Although they have drawn birds for me late in the season, my experience indicates they may work more effectively earlier on, and that a certain percentage of birds likely become somewhat decoy shy if you miss them, and then hunt the same area repeatedly before new birds migrate in.

In any event, I use them anytime I have batteries and enough time to gather up my gear and set up. My belief is that they do more to help than hurt. In a hot field you will still have great shooting without them. And on slow days they will not miraculously turn a slow or barren field into a hot spot. But I generally use them. I believe they will indeed give you more opportunities in the long run.

Another Ohio former ruffed grouse fanatic here! Since they are most extinct in South East Ohio doves are the game! I used mojos last year and definitely believe they attract doves. Especially after the first week or so of shooting.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:

Lol...as good as any decoy is I've still not seen one good enough to make a spot birds don't want to be hold the buggers, most of my time is spent in publib hunting locations as I cannot justify the cost of a lease with my relatively small # of hunting days a year, I'm just hoping that this can turn a wild goose chase on fields I know are holding doves into realistic shooting opportunities...I do not enjoy sky busting as I find it to be an expensive habit...and while just being out and seeing birds fly is great fun in and of itself, I am a pretty big fan of dove on the plate as well lol