It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National anthems .....
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Why are national anthems almost universally dire?

I had cause to attend a function this weekend where the UK national anthem (God save the Queen) was played and sung.

Except it wasn't sung by me, patriot though I am. In the league table of these things I put it one off the bottom, and I refuse to sing such a dreary, turgid dirge with ludicrously outdated words and sentiment. I just stand quietly by and think that only a nation as musically gifted as the Brits could come up with this miserable offering, and for 200 years do nothing about it.

The worst of the lot is Japan's anthem; no wonder they're forever topping themselves, it really is music to encourage ritual suicide in the car park. It must be a bugger being a street cleaner in Tokyo.

Sorry lads and lasses but The Star Spangled Banner I'd place somewhere in the middle of the bottom half. Even when it's done well, which isn't all that often, it only rises to the dizzying heights of mediocre. I've heard some fiercely crap efforts and I bet you have too. Who was that daft bint at the Super Bowl recently? Awesome, but not in a good way.

Number one is undoubtedly La Marseillaise, and in proof of that I give you a version by Mireille Mathieu a sort of tiny French national Living Treasure. Thank God that woman doesn't have the trigger cord of a guillotine in her hands, someone would be sure to get it in the neck else; that's the light of revolutionary battle in her eyes. Be a right bad day if she was suffering from PMT.

The official Aussie anthem "Advance Australia Fair" as bad as most of them, has been unofficially superseded in a de facto way by "I am Australian" written and composed by Bruce Woodley of "The Seekers." It's sung each morning by school children, at nationalisation ceremonies, and down the pub on Saturday nights. Looking back to history both good and bad, full of hope, inclusive, and a nice easy tune for kids. We should have more like this.

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy on Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: National anthems .....
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm not sure what is wrong with "God Bless America, Land That I love! Stand beside her ......."

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the Star Spangled Banner, but, you can’t dance to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:32 pm 
Crown Grade

rkittine wrote:
I'm not sure what is wrong with "God Bless America, Land That I love! Stand beside her ......."

In grammar school, our teacher made the class sing that song every morning right after the pledge of allegiance. If I never hear it again, it will be too soon.
"My Country 'tis of Thee" is also out, simply because it is "God Save the Queen" with different words.

I'd rather have "America the Beautiful" replace the Star Spangled Banner as the National Anthem.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

How "National" anthems sound is often dependent on who is performing them. For my money, anytime the "Star-Spangled Banner" is to be performed they can just put this version up on the big screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:55 am 
Diamond Grade

I suppose to appreciate an anthem, one would have to be in agreement with the lyrics. In the case of “God Save the Queen/King” it is almost a prayer to God. An atheist would probably have a problem singing that one with enthusiasm.

The last stanza of “The Star Spangled Banner” there is praise of God (“Praise the Power”), and the affirmation of “In God is our Trust”. That irritates the aggressive secularist. They tend to choke on the G word.

Quote:
O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

“Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say, and keep on saying it.”—-Frost

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Growing up Ozark American, there wasn’t anybody that could sing The Star Spangled Banner very well, mostly we substituted Elton Britt’s “There’s a Star Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere.” It’s eaay to play and sing, and reminds every true son of the hills how those Japanese snuck up early one Sunday morning and bombed Pearl Harbor, and the price that Harry S Truman made them pay for blowing up the USS Arizona.

But folks are too politically correct today to ever adopt the Elton Britt classic, and the official “Star Spangled Banner” is so established singers will go right on butchering it at ball games for years to come.

But if there ever was a change in our official national anthem, my choice would be “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” If Johnny Cash can sing it, we all can.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne,
The Louvin Brothers could sing gibberish lyrics and I'd endorse it as the National Anthem. And I'm a Yankee.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 pm 
Crown Grade

The problem with "The Star Spangled Banner" is that it's an extremely intervalic melody that, if sung in the key of C, goes from middle C or C4 to G5, one and a half octaves. That's hard for most average people to do without going into falsetto for the words "red glare", the highest notes in the song. Just the opening words "oh say can you see" is a G major chord arpeggio.
"Happy Birthday to You" is another extremely intervalic song that's often used in auditions because it tests a singer's vocal range.

Most church hymns are scalar rather than intervalic, no big jumps in tone, just going up and down the scale, so that they can be sung by normal people.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 pm 
Crown Grade

A lot of people, if they can't sing higher, they sing louder.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
I like the Star Spangled Banner, but, you can’t dance to it.

Here you go.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I find the Star Spangled Banner very militarily threatening. Besides being impossible to sing!!

IF it ever comes up for vote I'll go with America The Beautiful