It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need advice on Rem 11-48 ejector
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Rem 11-48 in decent looking condition, I got it as a project because the seller said it 'jammed'--failed to feed. So I took it out to try it and he was right, the extractor pulls the spent shell to the rear well enough but it isn't being ejected. the bolt slams forward on the empty. I examined the ejector which is at the rearmost tip of the barrel. it seems inadequate to reliably eject the spent shell. I looked for a new ejector at Numrich, they show an illustration that looks just like my ejector, IT looks inadequate as well! My ejector has a shoulder at the rear of it, but it doesn't look big enough to be effective, and of course the gun jams, fails to eject. Do I buy the new ejector in hopes it will work? Secondly, how do you remove the old one and re-install the new one? I presume its staked in place, but I see no obvious sign it is staked in place, no 'dents' or obvious staking marks. Advice please.

Post subject: Re: need advice on Rem 11-48 ejector
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

First off replace the extractor spring, or at least remove and clean and inspect.
A huge honking ejector is not needed on that shotgun. If the spring loaded extractor fails to hang on, it will drop cases in the action.
If it is "slamming fwd on the empty', you have another problem. Where is the next round when this happens? The gun should stay open if fired with an empty magazine, not slam shut.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is the barrel recoiling all the way enough for the fired hull to hit the ejector ? Put a piece of tape across the slot and then shoot it and see. I bet that's the problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

You remind me to look closer and to not overlook something obvious. I am still unfamiliar with this model but I see the barrel will move all the way to the back of the receiver if you push hard enough. I disassembled and looked for burrs, spent powder build-up, etc, it was a tiny bit grimy but nothing unusual. After wiping everything down dry it seemed to operate smoother, I put a drop of oil on the friction ring and everything feels nice and slick.
I want to try the 'tape over the slot' tip--where is that slot exactly?
Soon I will be going out for some test shots.

Oldstuffer, I see the extractor works smoothly and has good spring tension, just like some of my other Remingtons--it looks to be working properly. I should have been a little clearer in my description of the jam--there were shells in the magazine, the lifter lifted them but the empty collided/conflicted with the new shell--the empty was still in line with the bore, it was not ejected. Things happen fast and I may not understand exactly what's happening during the cycle. The barrel may not be going rearward enough to eject the empty?? I will try test shots and try to be more observant.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you biggie, that info eliminates Short Stroking as an issue.

With the bolt locked open, the ejector is fwd of the bolt face, right?

Basically, everything recoils fully backwards locked together, the bolt locks back and unlocks from the barrel.
The barrel then drives fwd extracting the empty.

When the barrel stops fwd, it frees the bolt, the bolt trips the shell lifter .
The empty should have been kicked out by the ejector a good 1/4 inch before the barrel seats fwd.
This is why I suspect the extractor dropping the hull.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The bolt slamming forward on the empty is why I did not suspect the extractor.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

I just went out for test firing and--success. The barrel was being sluggish which kept it from working right--I disassembled the magazine/spring, wiped it down with solvent (hoppe's), then wiped it near dry with a lightly oiled rag, and it shoots just fine now. It had me puzzled, suspecting malfunctioning parts, but all it needed was a bath, now its happy again.
Thanks for the responses, as always, good advice at this site!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep, the barrel slowing down appreciably before stopping fwd. WOULD allow the shell to slip off the extractor before the ejector threw it clear. Glad you got it fixed.

That braking system needs very very little oil, but it DOES need to work smoothly. Any stickiness or sluggishness will throw the sequence of things off.