It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Sporter G2 vs All-America
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, new member, and I hope I'm not re-hashing anything, but my google-fu has yet to bring up good information on this topic, so I was hoping some of the experts here could shed some light.
I'm looking at buying a new SC gun. I've had a Benelli Cordoba and Super Sport in the past because of the comb pad, otherwise my cheek gets beat up as I tend to roll my head over the stock to line up the rib. I've since used shims to help with that, but now I'm looking at O/Us for the first time, and shims aren't an option outside of the 828u. So...
I'm looking for differences between the now discontinued CZ Sporter G2 and the current All-American. The specifications seem the same, however I believe the SG2 was made at Huglu and the AA at Akkar? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also the actions look slightly different.
I can find the SG2 new under $1500, and the AA just over 2k (not the combo). Justifiable price difference? I've heard Dave Miller puts crazy amounts of rounds through his CZ, but when you're getting paid by them, you'll say what keeps your job and sells more guns.
I have no qualms with paying more for more, but the value has to remain or be better for me to justify spending more. Even to the point of buying something more expensive like the Barrett B-XPro (2.5K), or 725 Sporting Adjustable (2.7k), or Cynergy Sporting Adjustable (2.3k if I can find one). So far the CZ SG2 seems like best bang for buck (even though they all go 'bang') but I have no way of handling any of these without buying and shipping it first.
I know it's a whole World War Turkey vs Italy vs Japan thing, but other than price, is there an objective or even anecdotal quantification for price?
TLDR: I don't want to regret going cheapest, but would feel just as silly throwing money away.

Post subject: Re: CZ Sporter G2 vs All-America
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:30 pm 
Field Grade

well do you shoot right or left handed? if you shoot right handed, then I'd look for a Beretta and or Browning, and then get an adjustable comb added/installed, then fit is not an issue any more. Just an LOP issue, but that's pretty easy to adjust with adjustable butt plates and or recoil pads etc.

Second had market might be the best spot for you because you can get a good amount of gun for a good amount of money. Good luck.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply george. I'm right handed, and all of the guns I mentioned are equipped with adjustable combs from the factory.
I'm truly interested if anyone has experience with either of the 2 CZs I'm inquiring about. It seems that the go-to answer on any O/U under $4k on this site is Beretta or Browning... new if you got the cash, used if you don't. I'm truly ok with the possibility of those 2 brands being the next best thing since sliced bread, but I like to know as many answers as possible before I put down money on anything, so I want to pose the question: Is it possible someone is currently making a better value gun for the money, but no one is buying it because it doesn't start with a 'B'? With that possibility, why is it so hard to find solid information on any O/U and the objective differences between it and its competitors? I can find everything I've ever wanted to know and more about every AR made by every obscure manufacturer out there right now, but when you search for info on an O/U, the answer is always 'play it safe, buy a Brownetta.'
What is different about each action and what are the goals in the differences? Pros and cons of each action? Does the country of manufacture still play a major role in longevity or craftsmanship? Which parts are cast and which are CNC'd? Which manufacturers use different methods?
Again, I'm fine with paying for a Brownetta, but I'm extremely curious if CZ or other brand is able to offer just as much or more, for less. And why don't they market these guns or at the very least, give you all the information on it when you look for it?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW. Whatever you do - don’t get an 828 for Clays.

I’d look at the:

725 Sporting
browning CXS
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting.

I’m one of those “lucky” guys that’s shoots both B gun brand O/U’s fairly much the same. You might be different.

Since it’s in your budget, get a Browning or Beretta. Pass on the CZ and Benelli O/U’s.

Another one to consider is the Fabarm O/U Sporting.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

with over and unders its really all in the type of action and serviceability. meaning can the gun be shot out? with Brownings Berettas, higher end shotguns, the answer is no. They can be repaired/rebuilt quickly and for a good/decent/moderate price. The browning CXS and Beretta 686 silver piegon or onyx pro are fantastic buys for the money. You won't shoot one out, if it does get loose on you, you can get them tightned up and spec'ed back to factory.

For clays you want a heavier gun to soak up some recoil, and for balance/swing dynamics. There are numerous guys here on the boards and people I know from shooting, that have put literally hundreds of rounds through their B guns.......and or K or P gun guns.

After this weekend I'll be north of 20,000 rounds through my bone stock A400 xcel......still running like a swiss watch! Dedicated clays guns are built for the long run.

Good luck on the search and grind em up!

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:41 am 
Presentation Grade

The best thing to do is to try both of the B guns cause they are common as heck and no one will wince letting you try shooting theirs. Then see how that goes and compare from there. That will give you a point of reference into the guns you are targeting from a weight and action type. You may be able to make a more informed buy that way. With regard to action differences, it’s not how long they last - both last a long time. It’s how’s they feel. Brownings tend to be Porkers built with the engineering maximum when in doubt build it stout. Taller heavier action due to its design. This is not necessarily a bad thing depending on the feel you want. Berettas are more lithe for me. Barrel weight and overall balance make a difference too. If you are like most, you will trade your way into something better feeling or nicer over time. That’s where staying between the painted B lines pays off.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have a G2 Sporter and no regrets. I purchased it used and have shot it for 3 years. Sent it for repair to have the lock bar tighten up, done under warranty and only took 10 days. Not a big issue, the warranty guy said the was an issue with the original lock bars and this one should last much longer.The one thing that stands out on this gun is the wood is amazing, not just good, amazing. On a B gun at the same price point you will not get wood anything like my gun. To tell the truth I don't think you will getting anything that is much better.The All American looks interest but can't justify changing.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have a G2 Sporter and no regrets. I purchased it used and have shot it for 3 years. Sent it for repair to have the lock bar tighten up, done under warranty and only took 10 days. Not a big issue, the warranty guy said the was an issue with the original lock bars and this one should last much longer.The one thing that stands out on this gun is the wood is amazing, not just good, amazing. On a B gun at the same price point you will not get wood anything like my gun. To tell the truth I don't think you will getting anything that is much better.The All American looks interest but can't justify changing.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kevdrums21 wrote:
Hi, new member, and I hope I'm not re-hashing anything, but my google-fu has yet to bring up good information on this topic, so I was hoping some of the experts here could shed some light.
I'm looking at buying a new SC gun. I've had a Benelli Cordoba and Super Sport in the past because of the comb pad, otherwise my cheek gets beat up as I tend to roll my head over the stock to line up the rib. I've since used shims to help with that, but now I'm looking at O/Us for the first time, and shims aren't an option outside of the 828u. So...
I'm looking for differences between the now discontinued CZ Sporter G2 and the current All-American. The specifications seem the same, however I believe the SG2 was made at Huglu and the AA at Akkar? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also the actions look slightly different.
I can find the SG2 new under $1500, and the AA just over 2k (not the combo). Justifiable price difference? I've heard Dave Miller puts crazy amounts of rounds through his CZ, but when you're getting paid by them, you'll say what keeps your job and sells more guns.
I have no qualms with paying more for more, but the value has to remain or be better for me to justify spending more. Even to the point of buying something more expensive like the Barrett B-XPro (2.5K), or 725 Sporting Adjustable (2.7k), or Cynergy Sporting Adjustable (2.3k if I can find one). So far the CZ SG2 seems like best bang for buck (even though they all go 'bang') but I have no way of handling any of these without buying and shipping it first.
I know it's a whole World War Turkey vs Italy vs Japan thing, but other than price, is there an objective or even anecdotal quantification for price?
TLDR: I don't want to regret going cheapest, but would feel just as silly throwing money away.

Kev,

When I read your post, I was reminded of a very similar post asking a very similar question about the price/value of O/U shotguns just a few weeks ago. Like you, he was looking for details and wanting to know just what makes one gun "worth" more or "better" than another.

Although his price range was a bit higher than what you are looking at, I think you would gain some good information by reading the responses to his question. Here is a link to that topic: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=469066

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I despise change. If I were the king we’d be shooting 2 3/4” lead 12 gauge shells in Model 12s, Ithaca Model 37s, Belgian Browning Auto Fives, and SX1s. There would be a hundred dollar tax per choke tube.

And I’m dead wrong about my old notions of the proper repeating shotgun.

The best new repeater for a young shooter today are the Tristar gas autos. The most expensive one coast about $600. They never hiccup, with anything from one ounce loads to two ounce theee inch super turkey magnums. They are modern, new, and stylish.

I’ll keep my walnut and steel guns, but young people are better off shooting a young person’s gun.

A young man at our club has a bunch of these.

http://www.tristararms.com/products/sem ... g2-bronze/

I’d buy one myself, but I’m too set in my ways.