It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Choke Tubes do you recommend
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm getting back into shotguns for hunting Quail down in New Mexico.

I have a 20GA Ruger Red Label that I love. But I wanted a pump. Research led me to the Ithaca 37.

I found a very nice example in 20GA, but it has a compensator installed on the end of the barrel.

My plan is to cut this off and shorten barrel to 24" or 26" and thread for removable chokes.

Which do you recommend and why....

Rem-Choke
Win-Choke
Tru-Choke

How about barrel length......any advise.

Thanks!

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com

Post subject: Re: Which Choke Tubes do you recommend
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

If it were me I’d keep looking. Those old model 37’s balanced pretty well in original condition. Find one in a full choke and have a smith open it up to modified or light modified and shoot it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I might just do that and keep it simple. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

6 of one and a half dozen of the other on the tubes and I'd go no shorter than 26" on the barrel length.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Depending on the age, you may not be able to use the Win/Rem chokes due to ID/OD barrel dimensions. Usually a True choke will fit. I have two 12 gauge barrels in the serial range under 855,000 right now @ Mike Orlen's shop (waiting patiently for) that would not accept the Win/Rem chokes. Just haven't seen them back home yet.

Nothing wrong with True chokes. Available in all constrictions including a rifled tube.

True to Ithaca's name for the Model 37, the barrel dimensions tend to be lighter (at least on the early guns). The older 37s in 12 gauge approach the weight of a 20 gauge gun built by other makes.

And RoyB, I like your website. Very interesting and well done write-ups.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the kind words! The web site is a labor of sharing.......

I pick up the 37 on Wednesday. I'll do measurements and proceed from there. All this shotgun stuff is new to me. I'm a rifle and pistol "garage gunsmith"......But I'm liking the shotgun side of things!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Since you have the ability and the tools, you can rent reamers and taps from 4drentals.com for 20 gauge barrels in Winchester, Remington and Tru-Choke styles. They also have forcing cone reamers and choke reamers to open up factory chokes. I rented a 12 gauge forcing cone reamer and did 6 barrels myself by hand before sending it back. No issues at all. Best thing is it comes razor sharp and you don't have to pay anything for re-sharpening. This of course assumes that you don't mess it up and nick or break a flute. Then you own it.

And another thing, if the Ithaca is over serial #855,000 you could just get another barrel. Under that number and the threads are different (under 855,000 and the threads are pitched; over and they are straight) and the barrels do not interchange between the two series. If the gun is under 855,000, you can get an under 855,000 barrel and fit it to your receiver. Again, it appears you would not have any trouble doing this. I have one I am doing this with because of a badly rusted barrel, but I don't have a lathe and I have to depend on a friend who is too busy right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Great info...Thanks!