It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My bird survey
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Did my unofficial bird survey in NW North Dakota the last few days. I was assisted by my Brittany and my brother in laws Pudelpointer. I would call the Pheasant population in my area as good. There is more than an ample supply of roosters, will have to work on this problem next fall. I will have to call the Sharptails as fair. Found mostly singles, but it is quite a ways to a known stomping grounds so they may be courting already. Hungarians are paired up and seem to be in the areas they will be nesting in. I will have to call them as fair also. It was a long ways between pairs, hopefully they can raise some big broods. As to the wood ticks, I will call their population excellent to damn near epidemic. All in all me and the boys had a great time. They found a couple of deer legs and a few bird kills. It was great to get out and have a look around the country.

Post subject: Re: My bird survey
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here in NW Iowa I walk the edges of the hayfields looking for sheds, better than finding them in a tire when I cut hay the first time.

Lots of hen pheasants, even a few turkeys which is new for us. I would say everything came through the winter fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:24 pm 
Limited Edition

We had a very dry summer last year along with a light grasshopper population. The bird hatch suffered but fortunately we had a good carry over of birds. We have good moisture now so with any luck we will have a better year and the birds will rebound.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

On our place it appears that the pheasant population is above average.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 pm 
Limited Edition

wyobirds, good to hear you have birds. How are the Sage Grouse doing in your area. Years ago we used to hunt sage hens around Jeffery City, it was fantastic hunting. Bird numbers have sure declined were I hunt in Montana over the years. Everyone has a theory on why the decline but that hasn't helped the population much

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wow! A Pudelpointer I thought that I was unique in owning of these great birddogs!! Mine was the best bird dog that I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a chance to get one, do it! Oh yes, they do not shed!

RIP,

Pepper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Sage grouse where I live, Lincoln county look good. Similar to other years.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

Must be great to have those kinds of opportunities. In my area of PA, upland hunting does not amount to much. Wasn't always that way...in the eighties Pheasants would be seen in rural backyards...not sure what happened.