It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 42 vent rib question.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 pm 
Limited Edition

lowgun,

please PM me your email and I will send you the pics that you want of my gun.

CT

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

A 1947 build date would be compatible with a Winchester/Simmons co-op effort, just don't know about Moneymaker. Poster researcher01 might have data on the origin of Moneymaker ribs,anyone have a bat signal to alert him?

Bobcat

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

PM sent to researcher01

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Searun, thanks for emailing me the pictures of your great little 42. The rib appears to be a Moneymaker as you described. However, the rib matting is not Winchester matting, but it is the Moneymaker pattern. The WP stamp and extra P stamp may be Winchester proofs, at the side of the barrel if the gun originally had a solid rib. Your barrel seems to have the characteristic line on the top which is left when an original solid rib is removed. I may be wrong about that. A close examination of the barrel under the rib will tell you if the solid rib was, in fact removed. That would explain the proof mark on the left side of the barrel. The P stamp, if I recall correctly is usually a stamp for a replacement barrel from the Winchester parts bin. None of this takes away from the charm of your gun, but your gun didn't get that Moneymaker rib in the Winchester factory. Again, thanks for the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Lowgun,

Thanks for your opinion on my 42.
I am not sure what you mean by "characteristic line on top". pleased explain.
When Jenkins reconditioned this gun he had to resolder the receiver ramp and he said that there was no proof mark under that ramp. My model 12's with solid ribs have proof marks on the top center of the receiver as the solid rib ends at the barrel extension.
On the other 42's that received ribs from Moneymaker thru Winchester have you seen them with Winchester matting or Moneymaker matting.
Thanks,

CT

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

As a side issue on Winchesters and ribs,I found this current offer from an e bay seller some may be interested in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunsmithing-Se ... SwGXtXh9qE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunsmithing-Se ... SwGXtXh9qE

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Bobcat, yes, Central New York Gunsmithing offers Winchester matting. However, the poster who sent me pictures of his gun had very common Moneymaker matting on the rib of his gun. As he alludes, there may be no proof mark under the rib of his gun, because his gun probably had a solid rib from the factory and his proof mark is probably original to the gun and on the side of the barrel rather than on the top. No mystery here. Great gun, though, one that I would love to own, but not factory rib.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

To answer your question, no, I have not contacted any 42s that have had any factory connection with Moneymaker, nor have any Model 42 historians I am familiar with. The "line" is a remnant of the solder or whatever attachment method used to attach the solid rib on the Model 42. Somehow, the rib installers such as Simmons never felt it was important to grind the barrel down to its original contour and finish when installing their aftermarket ribs. The remnant to the original installation of the solid rib is almost always left in place. Next.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Only Winchesters described the solid rib attachment on M-12s. Barrels had longitudinal grooves (2) cut muzzle to threads, to which the 5/16" rib stock having corresponding radiuses underneath would mate. Ribs were run through the matting machine, straightened, then brazed onto the barrel. But I don't know if M-42s likewise had two grooves cut vs one.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:20 pm 
Limited Edition

lowgun,

Regarding your comment of a characteristic line on top of the barrel, I think what you are seeing is the bottom half of the rib. This rib has a top and a full length bottom like an MX8. The posts on this rib are machined together with the bottom and that piece is silvered soldered , and very nicely, to the barrel and the top of the rib has a "C" cross section and slides onto slots in the top of the posts like a Simmons. This is the only Moneymaker rib I have ever seen with this construction. All the others have the posts silver soldered directly to the barrel like Simmons.

My late Winchester friend and employee seemed certain that besides Simmons, Winchester did use Moneymaker before they had their own ribs, so perhaps there might still be a gun like that somewhere.

CT

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 42 that I just bought has a very early donut post Simmons rib that is very lightly stamped “Simmons Pat. Pending”. That’s it, nothing else. So, this rib was installed before they had a Patent in hand. The rib is also nickel plated, not blued and has the wavy parallel lines on top. The gun is in the 69,XXX range. It is stamped “SKEET” on the barrel and bears an offset proof mark. It is stamped for a 2 1/2” chamber. There is no offset proof mark on the receiver. So, my guess is that the gun left the factory with a solid rib, then sent to Simmons where it was removed and replaced with the vent rib that it bears today. My guess is early 1950s. I had never seen the nickel plated ribs before, now I have five guns that bear them. I also believe that the Cutts was installed by Simmons at the same time that the rib was fitted, but that’s conjecture on my part.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith