It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scope rings? Weaver vs. Leupold steel rings. Is this a...
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ford vs. Chevy thing?

Trading in a rifle and swapping my Nikon scope with Weaver steel rings onto a new toy.

My LGS will have to order a steel Weaver base, or I can install new Leupold steel base and rings for the new rig.

I can save $35 if I order the Weaver base and wait... or I can be shooting on Sunday if I install the whole Leupold rig.

The more that I think about this.... what if I order the Weaver base and wait.... AND THEN, the ring height with my Weaver isn't proper.

Maybe I think about this too much. What would you do?

Is there a noticeable difference between Leupold steel rings and Weaver steel rings? I'm simply trying to shoot a 4 inch group at 300 yards.

Maggs

Post subject: Re: Scope rings? Weaver vs. Leupold steel rings. Is this a
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maggs, I spent my whole shooting years without giving this a thought, now I have something else to baffle and confuse me, THANKS A LOT :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I have no clue what you should do. :D :D

cdb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cdb1097 wrote:
Maggs, I spent my whole shooting years without giving this a thought, now I have something else to baffle and confuse me, THANKS A LOT :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I have no clue what you should do. :D :D
cdb

Today must be a new day. :lol: :lol:

I don't think that I am good enough to notice the difference. I'm getting a fantastic deal through my LGS, so I'll simply have him set me up so that I can shoot.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

From a gunsmithing point of view, the Leupold rings have a few advantages over the Weaver traditional ring that have the sheet metal straps with screws on just one side.

1: Mounting the scope stress free by lapping the rings is much easier with the Leupold rings that come as lower and upper halves.

2: The traditional Leupold rings with the front dovetail and rear opposing screws can be used to correct for any left/right misalignment of the barrel or mounting screw holes. (More common than most would believe.)

3: A one piece base Leupold base setup can be made stress free on the rifle by waxing the receiver, roughing up the bottom of the base with emory cloth and using J B Weld to bed it being careful to just snug up the waxed mounting screws with no tension on the base.

4: The Weaver setup tends to rotate the scope as the ring screws are tightened and can be difficult to get the reticle exactly centered over the bore.

5: The leupold base/ring setup is a much classier looking scope mounting solution.

6: The Weaver style Picatenny base, sometimes with lookdown for long range shooting, is THE setup for tactical rifles, but only with the more rugged tactical rings that are split horizontally and have screw on both sides of the ring halves. (Also very expensive.)

7: If you are not going to take care to mount your scope stress free while ensuring the boresight is exactly in the center of the scope's adjustments, it really doesn't matter what you use to put the scope on there.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Either will work just fine, both are time tested and proven over and over again in the field.
RM makes some good points and I agree in that I like rings that are split horizontally however I know I'm not nearly an accurate enough shooter to see any real life advantage.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:49 pm 
Field Grade

maggs01 wrote:
Ford vs. Chevy thing?

Trading in a rifle and swapping my Nikon scope with Weaver steel rings onto a new toy.

My LGS will have to order a steel Weaver base, or I can install new Leupold steel base and rings for the new rig.

I can save $35 if I order the Weaver base and wait... or I can be shooting on Sunday if I install the whole Leupold rig.

The more that I think about this.... what if I order the Weaver base and wait.... AND THEN, the ring height with my Weaver isn't proper.

Maybe I think about this too much. What would you do?

Is there a noticeable difference between Leupold steel rings and Weaver steel rings? I'm simply trying to shoot a 4 inch group at 300 yards.

Maggs

Any ring can be a different height. If you prefer a low ring, make sure that is was it is..I am an Oddball and prefer extra high rings. Leupolds are good, and so are Weavers. +1 on the horizontal mounts verses vertical. All of my rifles wear scopes, most on weaver style bases and either Leupold or Weaver rings.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks guys!

I'll be using the Leupold mounts and mounting the scope as low as possible. I should be able to pick up the rifle tomorrow and shoot this week.

I'll keep you posted.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm with you on the as low as possible thought. One thing I've learned is that the traditional old school Weaver rings are "lower" than other low rings, Burris, Leupold, etc. Weaver type low rings are the same height as original Weaver medium. But those traditional Weaver low rings are too low for a lot of applications. The Weaver steel Grand Slam rings appear to match the traditional Weaver heights, based on my sample of one set I haven't used yet, but maybe will soon, on a new gloss finish FX 6X Leupold, since they're one of the few Weaver style ring mounts still available in non-matt black (I wouldn't call 'em gloss, exactly :wink: ) . The Weaver version of medium will be high enough to clear the hammer on a Henry single shot .243 I stumbled across recently; it'll be a good place to park that gun show new old stock Leupold 6X. Yes, I bought a rifle to fit a scope I bought at a gunshow :) .

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yornoc3 wrote:
....The Weaver version of medium will be high enough to clear the hammer on a Henry single shot .243 I stumbled across recently; it'll be a good place to park that gun show new old stock Leupold 6X. Yes, I bought a rifle to fit a scope I bought at a gunshow :) .

Please let me know how you like your Henry .243.

I traded my H&R .243 to get into this new rig... I'm no longer in the .243 reloading business...so, ALL of my .243 dies and components are going down the road.

Yes.... I had a new scope on the shelf for 18 months.. and it now has found a higher use.

Keep us posted on your Henry.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:49 pm 
Crown Grade

On scope ring height, Brownell's lists the ring height in their catalog and online listings. I have 1" long pieces of square key stock in various sizes like 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" I use to place on the front and rear bases to see the clearances on the scope before putting the appropriate ring on. It's a sure way to make sure you get it right the first time.