It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Four Gun Set
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gentlemen. I have been presented with the opportunity to purchase a four gun set as follows: Model 42, Model 12 28 ga, Model 12 20 ga, Model 12 16, ga. I have only seen the 42 once and will see the others next week. Here is what I know: all have simmons ribs, but only the 42 has a choke type stamp on the barrel. All have offset proof marks on the barrels. None have factory wood. The stocks have been upgraded to highly figured. All have been engraved in the Winchester style, but not by anyone associated with the factory. The engraving is beautiful. The original owner's initials are on the grip cap. These guns have been tricked out to suit the original owner, it appears. Now the ugly part. The magazine tubes on all four of the guns have been nickel plated, and the really ugly part is the fact that all four have Cutts compensators. The seller is very elderly and has owned these guns for over forty years. His initial price to me for all four is $4,000. Condition on all four is described as excellent. I am reserving judgement until I actually see them. Again, these guns are not factory, except perhaps for the Cutts chokes. Don't know. What do you think? Could be great shooters.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: Four Gun Set
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Four mdl 12s for $4000 including a 42 and a28ga? Unless the engraving is absolutely GARISH I'd fall all over myself to get them. Chrome can be removed and the mag tube reblued. Are the Cutts originally installed by Winchester? If so the guns are somewhat collectable even with the changes. Not high dollar collectible but I don't think you would lose money. All that said, I would sure like to see pics before giving a final opinion.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Walt, it’s only 3 Model 12s and a 42. Still, probably not a bad deal. I think that I can probably get him down to $3500, but I still want to see them first.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

What is the name or initials of the shooter who originally owned the guns? If only initials, the state of origin could help identify him. This could make a bit of a difference to some of us.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will let you know when I see them. I hope it’s “ES”. (Ernie Simmons) local to this area and former owner of Simmons Gun Specialties. His stuff turns up around here all the time.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
casonet wrote:
Will let you know when I see them. I hope it’s “ES”. (Ernie Simmons) local to this area and former owner of Simmons Gun Specialties. His stuff turns up around here all the time.

Good chance they could or are Simmons Guns. The mag tubes can be replaced but in the mean time, we're dying here waiting for the pictures.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I won’t see them till next week. Then pictures

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK, an update. I saw the guns today and I bought them. There is one 42 in the 69,XXX serial number range with an offset proof mark on the barrel that is stamped for a 2 1/2” chamber and a choke stamp “skeet” Simmons rib donut post and a Cutts on the barrel. There are four Model 12s: 28, 20, 16, and 12. The 12 has an extra barrel numbered to the gun but no Cutts on the extra barrel. All four have Simmons donut post ribs and Cutts compensators. All 5 guns have exceptional factory checkered wood. Two of the 12s are legitimate Pigeons. The other two have engraved pigeons done by the same person who engraved the receivers on all five guns. The engraving was done on the factory blued receivers with the engraving being left in the white. It’s very nicely done but not factory. The seller is 84 years old and told me that he bought the set from a long deceased friend in 1963. My friend never shot the guns. His friend, unfortunately, was not Ernie Simmons. I’m leaving town tomorrow and won’t be back till next week. Maybe then one of you could help me post some pictures. I did shoot the 28 ga today and it was fun. Haven’t decided what I’m going to do with them. Maybe enjoy for a while then sell a few? They are pretty!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Sounds like a great buy.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Sounds like a great buy.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for sending us the initials that are engraved on the guns so we can help you identify the original shooter. Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

lowgun wrote:
Thanks for sending us the initials that are engraved on the guns so we can help you identify the original shooter. Oh well.

Maybe now that Casonet knows there weren't Ernie Simmons' guns, he doesn't care to pursue it any further.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The name engraved on one of the trigger guards is “Ford Wilcox”. He has been dead for 50 years. He was a friend of the man who sold them to me. He wasn’t someone of note. Unfortunately. I’ll probably keep the 42and the 16 ga Model 12 and sell the rest.