It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help me pick a SxS
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
There is an Orvis shooting grounds not far from me.
Contacted them today, and they can do a gun fitting and get me my measurements.
Cost is $175, I thought that was reasonable, and their only 30 miles away.

Great that they're close, but a professional gun-fitting is a waste of time until you have a decent mount. Maybe take a couple lessons at your local range first, then go get fitted.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:25 am 
Tournament Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
... when I see an English stock and splinter forend on a SxS all I can think is YUCK !...

I'm just the opposite.

Double triggers are more reliable than single triggers, and they are the only system that gives you a true instantly-selectable choice of choke and/or shot size. A straight grip is the rational choice for using double triggers.

The forend on a side by side is not for holding. It just keeps the barrels on and houses the ejectors. Beavertail forends evolved because some people (mostly Americans) have some sort of phobia about putting their hands on barrels.

A splinter forend and straight grip are the apogee of development for a SxS game gun. Beavertails and pistol grips detract from its purpose and elegance, not to mention adding weight.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

Oblio13 wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:
... when I see an English stock and splinter forend on a SxS all I can think is YUCK !...

I'm just the opposite.

Double triggers are more reliable than single triggers, and they are the only system that gives you a true instantly-selectable choice of choke and/or shot size. A straight grip is the rational choice for using double triggers.

The forend on a side by side is not for holding. It just keeps the barrels on and houses the ejectors. Beavertail forends evolved because some people (mostly Americans) have some sort of phobia about putting their hands on barrels.

A splinter forend and straight grip are the apogee of development for a SxS game gun. Beavertails and pistol grips detract from its purpose and elegance, not to mention adding weight.

HaHa you are talking about me !
You should see me when I shoot a SxS with a splinter forend, holding on to that skinny forearm with two fingers :lol:
I have no doubt about the functionality of the double triggers and straight stock.
The look just never appealed too me.

Mossberg SA-20 Turkey
Benelli M2 12ga

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

Oblio13 wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:
There is an Orvis shooting grounds not far from me.
Contacted them today, and they can do a gun fitting and get me my measurements.
Cost is $175, I thought that was reasonable, and their only 30 miles away.

Great that they're close, but a professional gun-fitting is a waste of time until you have a decent mount. Maybe take a couple lessons at your local range first, then go get fitted.

I got one lesson when I purchased my Fabarm Elos, went back and took another.
But I am still working on a consistant mount.
I still have some time while I save up for the Dickinson.

Mossberg SA-20 Turkey
Benelli M2 12ga

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am 
Crown Grade

Oblio13 wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:

I'm just the opposite.

How come all target guns don’t have double triggers if they are more reliable. They aren’t!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
How come all target guns don’t have double triggers if they are more reliable. They aren’t!

I don't think anyone has used a side-by-side in competition, either single or double trigger, in decades. That's not where they shine.

But double triggers are indeed more reliable than a single trigger. They are much simpler mechanically. And if one of them does fail, or if you have a misfire, your spare shotgun is already in your hands.

A single trigger is far more complicated. It must have some sort of selector mechanism incorporated, or you will not have the ability to choose which barrel will fire first. It must also have some sort of inertial system to sequence the shots. And if any component of this complicated single trigger mechanism fails, or if you have a misfire for any reason, your shotgun is out of action until the malfunction is diagnosed and corrected.

The advantage of single triggers is consistency, i.e. not having to change your grip.

Last edited by Oblio13 on Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

BobK wrote:
Normal "caustic" bluing gives a nice finish on singles, pumps and autos. It will wreak havoc on double-guns where the barrels are soldered together. (It attacks the solder joints over time.)

I called Dickinson Arms and spoke with Marty to ask how the barrels were blued and he confirmed that they are caustic (hot) blued, but wasn't sure of how they were joined. He told me that Dickinson Arms has not received any complaints, issues or reports of barrel separation. Then, after consultation with a few of gunsmiths and members of the ACGG, I got some info regarding caustic (hot) bluing and soldered barrels of side-by-side shotguns. Yes, one wants to avoid using soft solder when joining caustic blued barrels as the salts used in the bluing process will attack the joints that many times results in the ribs separating from the barrels which can lead to an expensive repair. Under certain circumstances soft solder can be used if air and water along with the usage of some baking soda can be blown out weep holes, but there is always a chance that small traces of the salts will remain to attack the soft solder.

On the other hand, if silver solder or brazing was used to join the barrels of caustic blued guns there will be no issue with the barrels separating. The gunsmiths that I talked with were all in agreement that any gun manufacturer today would use a proper method of joining the barrels to avoid litigation down the road.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Okay